Moderator Control Panel ]

Can I identify a parent not on birth certificate?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Can I identify a parent not on birth certificate?

Postby runmerry » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:05 pm

Where was Edith May jun born?
I found only one Edith May Mitchell on Scotlands People born 1886 in Selkirk.

Regards
Jen
runmerry

Postby sandyscott21 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:12 am

hi there,

One other option hinted at in a previous post, is checking the poor law records themselves. I had a similar sitation to you and have had some success with the poor law records for my grandfather. He was a child migrant sent to Australia, but born in Glasgow. He never knew his father and in all the documentation for the various homes he was in, there is no record of a father.

One thing to remember for Poor Law is that at the time, each Council was responsible for their own. Therefore, when people moved, there were efforts by the local authorities to pass on the cost for the care of the poor to their home council, or to even relocate them back to where they were born. This is a family historians dream as this often involved a decent amount of paperwork on the persons heritage.

In my case, I looked up the Glasgow poor law records to see if there was anything about my great grandmother (my grandfather was born there although his mother was from Stirling). It turned out that in Glasgow she had applied for poor relief and at the time she was heavily pregnant with my grandfather! The record gave quite a lot of detail about her own background growing up in institutional care...as they had to send the bill for her care to her home Council at Stirling (and in turn there is a note saying Stirling accepted liability). Once my grandfather was born there is a note that she had tried to give him up for adoption but Glasgow refused. The poor law records were a goldmine of information on her and the wider family.

But my 'who do you think you are moment' was seeing the name she gave as the father of her child (they were wanting to find him for paternity payments!). I have no confirmation of this name on any paperwork but with DNA tests I hope one day to confirm if this was true.

If only my grandfather were still alive to see what I discovered.

I cannot be sure that this will help you too, but I would suggest poor law records themselves.... or any any equivalent that the army may have had too?

Sandy
sandyscott21

Postby ksouthall » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:27 pm

sandyscott21 wrote:But my 'who do you think you are moment' was seeing the name she gave as the father of her child (they were wanting to find him for paternity payments!). I have no confirmation of this name on any paperwork but with DNA tests I hope one day to confirm if this was true.

Sandy

Hello Sandy,

Do you have any direct male descendants of your grandfather, e.g. an uncle or male cousin/brother
or son of an uncle? Or if this is your paternal grandfather, do you have a brother who could take a patrilineal DNA test? I believe this would be the best way to locate other male descendants of a common male ancestor. I'm sure someone else could confirm this.

Best wishes,

Katherine
ksouthall

Postby sandyscott21 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:28 pm

ksouthall wrote:
sandyscott21 wrote:But my 'who do you think you are moment' was seeing the name she gave as the father of her child (they were wanting to find him for paternity payments!). I have no confirmation of this name on any paperwork but with DNA tests I hope one day to confirm if this was true.

Sandy

Hello Sandy,

Do you have any direct male descendants of your grandfather, e.g. an uncle or male cousin/brother
or son of an uncle? Or if this is your paternal grandfather, do you have a brother who could take a patrilineal DNA test? I believe this would be the best way to locate other male descendants of a common male ancestor. I'm sure someone else could confirm this.

Best wishes,

Katherine

Hi Katherine,

Yes, my father is still alive and he has done the DNA test. It is now a matter of searching his matches to try and find a connection to the name she gave in the poor law records I guess....something I haven't had the time to do as yet as I have been looking up other parts of the tree. So many relatives, so little time. :D
sandyscott21

Previous

Return to General research queries