Moderator Control Panel ]

Wills pre 1858

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Wills pre 1858

Postby seasalora » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:53 pm

Can someone advise me where and what cost I can get a copy of a will dated 1849. I am trying to get a copy of a will, (unfortunately lost due to house move) that I purchased in the 90's. Can they be purchased online? It was for a George Temperley, who died Bolton, Lancs 21 Sept 1849. Any advice gratefully receive, thanks. seasalora
seasalora

Re: Wills pre 1858

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:09 pm

Normally the answer is that, for a will of that date, it depends on where the will was probated. I believe that the will in question would have been probated by the Diocese of Chester and stored in Chester. However, the Lancashire wills were shipped to Lancashire Record Office at Preston. I don't have access to the correct URL at the moment but if you Google the LRO you should be able to bring up their catalogue and hopefully find the reference for the said will. Then I think you have to email LRO with the details and they send you the copy by snail mail.

That's a fairly high level description.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Re: Wills pre 1858

Postby seasalora » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:36 am

Adrian,
Appreciate your reply, I have sent off a query to the LRO, so await their response - if it is snail mail, just have to hope that the Brit PO is faster than the Aus PO!!
regards, and thanks again
seasalora
seasalora

Return to General research queries