Moderator Control Panel ]

Wills pre 1858

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Wills pre 1858

Postby seasalora » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:52 pm

Can someone advise me where and what cost I can get a copy of a will dated 1849. I am trying to get a copy of a will, (unfortunately lost due to house move) that I purchased in the 90's. Can they be purchased online? It was for a George Temperley, who died Bolton, Lancs 21 Sept 1849. Any advice gratefully receive, thanks. seasalora
seasalora

Re: Wills pre 1858

Postby MayHam » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:01 pm

Lancashire Probate Records:
Before 1858, Church of England ecclesiastical courts had authority for this process. To search for a pre-1858 probate record in Lancashire, follow these steps:

Step 1. Search Indexes
Online Indexes Here are some online indexes to probate records that include individuals who lived in Lancashire. Search these indexes first:
Estate Duty Registers (wills) - indexes from 1796 to 1903
For later than 1807, see the Estate Duty Registers' indexes (see above link or, order microfilms available at the Family History Library or 4600 family history centers worldwide). These original indexes were created by the Estate Duty Office (Inland Revenue) for all wills and administrations, which exacted Death Duties (from all probate courts in the country).
First name(s) George
Last name Temperly
Death year 1849
Residence BOLTON LE MOORS
County LANCASHIRE
Court PCC And Country Courts
Record set Index to Death Duty Registers 1796-1903
National Archives reference IR27/291
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Wills & probate
Collections from Great Britain
Source: FindMyPast
Did you find a reference to a probate record?
If yes, go to Step 4 below.
(I'm assuming this is the National Archives reference above although I didn't find it in their online index.)
Step 4. Obtain a copy of the probate record
Once you have found an index reference to a probate, obtain a copy of the record. Do so by one of these methods:
Visit or contact the record office that has the original records in its collection.
Visit the Family History Library or a family history center and obtain a copy of the record on microfilm. For more information, click on a court name below.
Hope this helps. The above information is copied from the FamilySearch Research Wiki.
MayHam

Return to General research queries