Moderator Control Panel ]

Gedmatch/DNA sharing

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Gedmatch/DNA sharing

Postby ednatil » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:14 pm

I'm seeking some advice on possibly sharing my RAW DNA results with Gedmatch. I wondered if anyone could give any advice on whether it is both safe and or worth doing. My basic understanding is that it could be quite useful as you are able to match up with other companies and cousins other than just Ancestry. Before doing so I would like to way up the pro's and cons and possibly have advice from someone who may have done this previously.

Thanks.
Andrew
ednatil

Re: Gedmatch/DNA sharing

Postby ianw16 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:40 am

This would all depend on how worried you were about the privacy aspect. You can choose to use an alias, rather than a real name. I uploaded my data yesterday, and have been having oodles of fun seeing how much DNA I share with the Altai Neanderthal, and other ancient people! This was my main reason for using the site, rather than genealogical reasons. Essentially, to get a better idea of my lineage, ancient and recent, than that given by the Ancestry summary. Be prepared to do a fair bit of homework on the various tools available, and what the results might mean.
Oh, and it also predicted my eye colour correctly!
All in all I'd say it was worth it.

p.s. there are also downloadable tools such as Ancient Calculator & Ancient Ancestry that you can download and run with your raw data.
ianw16

Postby Will_G » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:25 am

Having just received my AncestryDNA results this morning I think I'll now see what Gedmatch can do with the results. As ianw16 says, I think there'll be quite a bit of reading up to do to make the most of it :)
Will_G

Postby DebbieK » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:02 pm

GedMatch provides a range of useful tools and also allows you to search for matches with people who have tested with other testing companies. It is quite an open sharing system but if you are concerned about privacy you can always use an alias and register with a different e-mail address.

I've been on GedMatch for quite some time but I don't think I've ever received an enquiry from anyone on the site. That may be because I've already tested with the three main companies anyway.

There are links to various blog posts in the ISOGG Wiki which explain how GedMatch works:

http://isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_DNA_tools
DebbieK

Return to General research queries