Moderator Control Panel ]

Catherine King of Hinckley - what happened to her?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Catherine King of Hinckley - what happened to her?

Postby Truebrit » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:17 pm

I am researching Thomas and Catherine King (nee Pratt). They were married in Hinckley, Leicestershire in 1803 and had several children there until 1818. This was Thomas’ second marriage in Hinckley, his first wife Mary (Gays) dying in 1803, and was by licence which may suggest Catherine was a minor or that the marriage was taking place outside of the brides county. I have searched for the licence to confirm the position although it does not appear to have survived.

I have found a death for a Thomas King in Hinckley in 1819, aged 55, giving a birth year of about 1764 and have thus managed to research his ancestors although cannot find much about Catherine. His will of that year mentions his wife Catherine and therefore she was alive at that time. It also mentions a friend William Pratt (Catherines brother?).

I have found a possible christening for a Catherine Pratt to a John and Elizabeth Pratt in Earl Shilton in 1788. If this is her then it would suggest a possible age at marriage of around 15/16. This couple also seem to have a child named William in 1790 in Hinckley.

My problem is that i cannot find what happened to Catherine after Thomas’ death to help me further.

I have researched their children to see if she appears with them but cannot spot her.

There is a burial of Catherine King in Stoke Golding in 1833 although she appears to be the Catherine that married a John King in Stoke Golding in 1792.

There are also two possible marriages of a Catherine King after 1819 – one at St Nicholas, Leicester on 14/10/1823 to a Daniel Merrick and another at St Martin’s Leicester on 1/02/1826 to John Cooke. However, i cannot find any census or other info to help determine if any of these might be right!

Can anyone help find out what happened to Catherine King?

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
Truebrit

Re: Catherine King of Hinckley - what happened to her?

Postby brunes08 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:13 am

Just one thought regarding Catherine's age and date of birth. The date/year of baptism is not necessarily the date of birth. Some registers do record the specific date of birth alongside the date of baptism but by no means all did. I have several instances where the baptism was when the children were 6, 8 and even 10 years old. This could mean you need to widen your search a little.
brunes08

Postby sdup26 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:49 am

Re the marriage you mention - to John Cooke in 1826. In 1841, there's a Catherine Cook aged 50, living in Atherstone, Warks, but not born in that county. There are two boys living with her, Joseph b1826, and Charles 1836, both b.i.c. It's 'slight' but I can't find anything else that might fit.

The only other point is Thomas's 1819 Will. You say it mentions his wife Catherine, but is there any chance she could have died immediately after it was written, before Thomas had time/health enough to change it before he also died?
sdup26

Postby Truebrit » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:41 pm

Thanks for those thoughts. I am not sure that the Atherstone Catherine is right. She appears to be born in Sheepy on the next census - still a potential possibility I suppose.

In relation to the Will of Thomas. That was dated the day he died and he made a point of ensuring her name was added above the term wife. It is therefore likely she was around at that point. They had also had a child James, the previous year.

All a bit of a puzzle!

Truebrit

Postby sdup26 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:12 am

Have you ruled out the death for Catherine King, SQ 1838, Billesdon 15 26?
sdup26

Postby Truebrit » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:27 pm

Thank you for that.

I see that relates to a Catherine King who died at Evington, aged 51, so it is possible.

I wonder if there is a way of linking Catherine from Hinckley and the Catherine from Evington without buying the certificate? I see that there is a John King marrying a Catherine Ellingworth in Belgrave Leicester in 1807 so this could be her I suppose.

Truebrit

Postby sdup26 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:13 pm

Freereg has the marriage of John King to Catherine Ellingworth, and the record says she was a spinster (not a widow), so maybe she can be ruled out. If you order a birth or marriage certificate, you can stipulate that you want it only if father is named as Fred, or whatever. Can you do the same for death certs? I've never tried it, and I'm not sure how it would work for the 1838 Catherine King death. For example, can you specify she must be described as Thomas King's widow? Does anyone else know?
sdup26

Postby jimbo50 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:32 pm

I know that in 1870s the space where occupation normally goes is often used for the spouse identity. I thought I had a choice of conditions when I ordered them. You can always stop the process if you're unsure. Jim
jimbo50

Return to General research queries