Moderator Control Panel ]

George Powell Osmond- 1854-1932 London

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Postby cosmond88 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:39 pm

Hello,
I'd appreciate any help or suggestions with a brick wall I've been trying to break through for about ten years.

My great-great grandfather was George Powell Osmond born in London around 1854. He married Sarah Ann Barnes in 1874 and they had eight children. He was a boot fitter who loved around London such as Paddington, Willesden and St Giles in the Fields.

His marriage certificate states his father was George Osmond who was deceased in 1874 a the time of the marriage and was a victualled/publican. I have tried to search every record to find proof of a George Osmond who was a publican in London and linking it to my George Powell Osmond but no luck.

There is always no certain record of anyone being born under the name of George Powell Osmond, it looks most likely he was registered without his middle name and again I'm not sure where the Powell came from. I would appreciate any help with this at all as I fear by myself I'll never get any further back on his side.

There are suggestions he may actually have been born in Somerset but again there is no proof of this whatsoever.

Many thanks,
Chloe
cosmond88

Re: George Powell Osmond- 1854-1932 London

Postby AntonyM » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:56 pm

There is a George OSMOND birth registered in St Giles in Q1 of 1853 - who in 1871 appears to be living as a visitor in the house of a man working as a "boot closer" have you ruled that one out ?
AntonyM

Postby Singleton1922 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:32 pm

Hi

I suspect that Powell is the maiden name of his mother, grandmother etc. I've found that to be the case with middle names in my own family and it's been useful in confirming I have the right ancestor when I go further back.

Sandra

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Singleton1922

Postby Mick Loney » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:38 pm

If he was illegitimate, he may in fact be registered as a Powell rather than an Osmond. I have two occurances in my own tree, where registered surnames have become the middle names, after their mother married, gaining a new surname in the process.
For instance, Stanley Parkin Miller, was registered as Stanley Parkin, and adopted the Miller surname when his mother married a James Miller. His birth was registered in GRO as Parkin. In this case I was fortunate in that his son gave me the clue, when he told me his dad was definitely known as Stanley Parkin Miller, yet there was no GRO entry for him, despite knowing his exact date of birth and birthplace!

Try finding a christening for him under both surnames and see if indeed he was illegitimate. Sadly, people told lies on their marriage certificate to hide ther illegimacy, so don't rely on his fathers name from his marriage certificate!

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby Cedimond » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:12 pm

If he was a publican have you looked in the archives for the register of licensees. Every pub needs a licence and the owner of the pub and tenant (usually different) will be listed every year the pub was going. If he was a publican in an unlicensed pub he won't show up but worth a look. I've done research on pubs in Wiltshire and this register had been invaluable, hopefully one exists for your area of London, try London metropolitan archives or the local
Council
Cedimond

Postby Margaret Hirst » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:40 pm

I've found a George Osmond in the 1871 Census, who is a Retired Licensed Victualler living in Hampstead with his wife Ann and daughter Annie E. George is 46 and born in St Pancras, Ann 47 born Elton, Northants, and Annie E 14 born Marylebone.

I've got them again in 1861 in Pancras and George is now 36 and a Coffee House Keeper. Unfortunately, they have a son George J who is only 1 month old.

They may well be George who married Anne Edis in Marylebone in 1854, when George was shown as a Butler.

That one looked promising to start with.
Margaret Hirst

Postby Margaret Hirst » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:06 pm

The suggested Somerset connection might be the Samuel Powell Osmond, born to Samuel and Sarah in 1841.

Although the combination of Powell and Osmond might seem positive, there doesn't appear to be any other information to even slightly suggest that there was a George in the picture. The family are in Bristol in 1861, but no sign of a George, and in 1851, they're in Oldland, Gloucs. Samuel is a Tailor.

Samuel Osmond married Sarah Powell in 1840 in Mangotsfield St James, Gloucs. I think this is just an unfortunate coincidence.
Margaret Hirst

Postby Margaret Hirst » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:35 pm

How about George Osmond of The Britannia, Edward Street, Bermondsey. There are newspaper reports of him in March 1851.

The location is detailed in a report about a pigeon race. It's at the western end of Grange Road. Another record calls the area Star Corner.

I can find most of Edward Street in the 1851 Census, but not beyond the high 30 numbers.
Margaret Hirst

Postby cosmond88 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:39 pm

Hello again- apologies for the delay in replying. I've been waiting for birth certificates and got married!

I have ruled out nearly all of those mentioned in these comments. I know from George Powell Osmond's marriage certificate that his fathers name was George Osmond. I have the birth certificates of four or five different George Osmond's born in or near to 1854 and none have the fathers name as George. This includes the one born in St Giles in 1853 and the one born in Dorset in 1853.

I've extensively researched into Samuel Powell Osmond and cannot find a link. I've also researched into the 'Coffee House Keeper' that was mentioned but there is again no link.

I'm currently waiting for a birth certificate for a George Powell born in 1854 with the very small hope that the fathers name would be listed as George Osmond. In most cases like this I've found that the fathers name hasn't been recorded.

I have found a George Osmond born in Yatton, Somerset in 1854 with a father also called George however for many reasons this doesn't seem to fit and somehow it doesn't feel quite right. For instance on George Powell Osmond's marriage certificate his father is listed as deceased at the time of marriage whereas in the Yatton case he is still alive and the occupation is wrong. The mothers surname is also Rogers and going back on both sides there is no trace of a Powell anywhere.

I would really appreciate any further suggestions. Being born around 1854 he would have had to have had his birth registered I'm assuming as a legal necessity? At the moment all I seem to be doing is ruling a lot out which is quite an expensive way of doing it!
cosmond88

Postby ksouthall » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:23 am

cosmond88 wrote:Being born around 1854 he would have had to have had his birth registered I'm assuming as a legal necessity?

Unfortunately, this is not the case. It is possible that his birth was not registered as it was not a legal requirement until the 1870s. His family may have had him baptised and believed this to be enough. Have you tried searching for a baptism in church records, including nonconformist registers?
ksouthall

Next

Return to General research queries