Moderator Control Panel ]

Jimbo's Gibson Family Help Newspapers Other ?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Jimbo's Gibson Family Help Newspapers Other ?

Postby jimbo50 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:21 pm

Hiya. Further to ermin79's really interesting third link (above) to a transcribed notebook belonging to the Rev John McMillan, I took down some details and tried searching Scotlands People website and nothing came up.
I wonder, could someone try a search at ancestry to see if they are on there ? Bear in mind these are Scottish records. It's just out of everybody's general interest as the entries are a good bit too early for my lot yet.
That'll teach me not to read the smallprint. All these years I've been paying for searches and then find the database is short of an entry or few thousands, and hardly any progress in ongoing additions.
'Miscellaneous Manuscript Records
There's a 37 page pdf list of stuff like this available on microfilm in the Scotlands People Centre They are not available online' - It's said that for years. No kirk session records either ?
e.g. Baptisms in Rev McMillan's notebook;
5th Jan 1707 William Robison in Bothwell. Rebekah 6 William 5
18th April 1742 in Bonnell parish William Logan his son John aged 7 months
jimbo50

Postby runmerry » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:14 pm

From the National Records of Scotland,

"We plan to begin making church court records available online in 2017, following the re-launch of the ScotlandsPeople website in 2016. We anticipate that it will take a significant time to upload the full range of kirk session, presbytery, synod and General Assembly records for the 16th, 17th, 18th and 19th centuries, which amount to more than 20,000 volumes. Researchers will have the choice of accessing the records free of charge in various Scottish archives, or using the subscription service."

So hopefully next year, but if your ancestors were secessionists they might not be in them.

Regards
Jen
runmerry

Postby jimbo50 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:41 pm

Thank you Jen. That's brilliant news. Roughly how long does it take to do all that I mean will we see them all on in 2017, or is it a 'many years' project ? I have great confidence that at least the transcription will be correct. Cheers. Jim
jimbo50

Previous

Return to General research queries