Moderator Control Panel ]

Marriage Records - St Matthews Hull

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Postby Millfield64 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:06 pm

:? Hello all!

Anyone have access to the above marriage records? I am trying to find out about a William Blewett/Blewitt who married my great grandmother in 1877 in Hull at the above (Elizabeth Lamswood, widow). I am hoping it gives his father's name, to help me try and find out a bit more about him. He was a trawler skipper and about 10 years younger than my GG grandmother. I've found a death for him in 1947 in Hull but and a few census records of his time with Elizabeth in Hull but they give different places of birth on each account.....a bit of mystery! If anyone has access to the marriage records and could take a peek for me, I would be very grateful. Any suggestions as to where to go from here would be most welcome too. RNAS and Indenture records I have found in the name of William Blewett also give different details and its hard to know whether it is one of the same person. Both Blewett and Blewitt are used for the surname too, Stumped!
Millfield64

Re: Marriage Records - St Matthews Hull

Postby ColinB » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:12 pm

I think you mean 1887 .

William Blewett 24 bachelor , fisherman , 9 Beecroft Terrace Bean Street, father William Blewett deceased labourer
Elizabeth Lamswood 37 widow, 7 Beecroft Terrace, father Thomas James fisherman

29 Apr 1887 St Matthews Hull

witnesses : Thomas Eaglestown & Elizabeth Greenwood
ColinB

Postby Millfield64 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:26 pm

Wow! Thank you ColinB, very much appreciated. However, another William is what I feared! Doesn't help me narrow down my William much but the info is very much appreciated and more than I had before - THANK YOU! Very speedy too!
Millfield64

Postby sdup26 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:04 pm

As you say, William is very imaginative with his background. In 1881, he says he was born in Litchfield, Yorks. That's in Hampshire, unless it should refer to the Lichfield in Staffs. In 1891, he was born in Sheffield, Yorks, and in 1901, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. I wonder about the William Blewett aged 6 (b1865) who was an inmate in Lichfield Workhouse in 1871.
sdup26

Postby Millfield64 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:03 am

Thank you sdup26 - that's very interesting and something I hadn't found yet. Will definitely follow that up! Many thanks for taking the time to help me. Much appreciated.
Millfield64

Postby coopernicola » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:01 am

I think your William Blewett may be rather like my GG grandfather, also a fisherman and allegedly born in a number of places. Perhaps we will never find their actual origins. His RNR and fishing documents give a combination of DoB and PoB, seemingly to be deliberately unclear. If William was in Litchfield workhouse as a child it would lead me to think he was uncertain about his birthplace, or did not want people to know his origins. Do any family members remember him? They may remember if he had a 'Hull' or 'Devon' accent! This helped with my husbands family tree, we are a 'Hull' family and different accents seem to be noticed.
Looking at the 1911 census Elizabeth seems to have completed the form herself and has signed 'Blewett' so this is likely the spelling the couple used. (William signed 'Blewett on the marriage certificate). So differences could purely be due to errors by enumerators.
It seems the James family moved from Brixham to Hull between 1861 & 1871 as in 1861 they are living with Elizabeth's grandmother Catherine Lang (b. 1786, Paignton) in Brixham.
Elizabeth's first husband Samuel Lamswood was lost at sea in Jan 1882 so it appears she only had Kate, Blanche & Samuel as children to him.
coopernicola

Postby Millfield64 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:04 am

Thank you Coopernicola, much appreciated. Unfortunately, no one is still around to remember whether William had an accent or not. I am assuming he may have been at sea when Elizabeth and her nephew completed the 1911 census. I do know about Elizabeth as Samuel, her first husband was my mother's grandfather and William married Elizabeth after Sam was lost at sea. I'm guessing, like you say, we will never know! He's not a direct descendant but I was curious to see whether I could complete his vital dates. Have recently found his death in 1947 with the respondent being his neice, A Watson. Unfortunately this person doesn't fit in anywhere in my tree at present but I am assuming that she would have been in some way connected to Elizabeth rather than William. Maybe time will tell in due course. Many thanks for your kind assistance.

Sue
Millfield64

Postby coopernicola » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:02 pm

No problem. It's a pity no one remembers him, as you say he's quite mysterious. I, like you, try to fill out vital info on family members with more than one spouse as it can often be helpful. William himself may not have actually known where he was born but possibly where he was from. Blewett is not a common name but there do seem to be a few in Devon, with one or two in the Staffs/Midlands area. You could try to track then all forwards to exclude them, however William may just have used 'William' as a name for his father. Do you have his RNR record? My GG grandfather did use the same name for his father in his marriage & RNR records. I've still not managed to find a birth for him.
Happy hunting, Nicola
coopernicola

Postby Millfield64 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:16 pm

Thanks Nicola, I will try and track them like you suggest. Odd that he should use Lostwithiel, Cornwall in one of the census returns for a place of birth - that is where most Blewett/Blewitt links seem to come from - did he know something or just pick this up from elsewhere. Tricky! I did get a message on ancestry from someone who claims to be linked to my tree who told me they were also interested in William and he had apparently taken up with his housekeeper after my GGrandmother had died...perhaps I could ask her if she knew whether he had an accent. Worth a try. Happy hunting to you too and if you need any assistance, perhaps I can assist!?

Sue
Millfield64

Postby Millfield64 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:58 pm

Do workhouse records usually say how an inmate has ended up somewhere? If William Blewett was 6 years old in 1871 in the Lichfield Workhouse, am wondering whether there would be something documented as to how a child ended up there!? Any ideas anyone?
Millfield64

Next

Return to General research queries