Moderator Control Panel ]

Barnados Homes.

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Barnados Homes.

Postby meg of the hills » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:52 am

Hi all. Just wondering if anyone knows at what age children, in particular boys, left Barnados Homes. I am trying to trace my great uncle, who was placed in one after his mother died. This would have been around 1910-15. He later went to Canada. His name was Albert Walter Collins, DOB second or third quarter of 1904. Father, Isaac Collins, mother Rosa Collins, whose maiden name was also Collins!!! Thanks
meg of the hills

Re: Barnados Homes.

Postby carobradford » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:25 am

Barnados have extensive records and will search them for you for a non-refundable fee of £15. They can provide considerable detail if they find relevant records, though the fee for this is considerably higher. Go to http://www.barnardos.org.uk/what_we_do/ ... ervice.htm
for details.

The only Isaac COLLINS I can find marrying a COLLINS in the right time frame is an Isaac WIlliam, a stonemason, who married Rose Beatrice COLLINS in Windsor in 1901. This family is still together in 1911, in Swanage, Dorset. Isaac William COLLINS died in 1912. I cannot find a record of Rose's death.
carobradford

Postby sdup26 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:54 pm

As carobradford says, there's a marriage between Isaac William Collins, father Walter, and Rose Beatrice Collins, father John, at St Jude's Egham, Lambeth, by Banns, in 1901. More importantly for your query, Isaac was buried on November 30th 1912, in Swanage. The GRO reference is Isaac W Collins Dec Q 1912, Wareham, 5a 292. If you haven't got it, it would be worth sending for the death certificate, to see who registered the death. If it was Rose, you'll know she was still alive at the end of 1912, which narrows the search. I can't find a death for her up to 1920.
If she was alive, did she stay in Dorset after Isaac's death, or go back to her home county of Surrey? That could affect your search in the right area for a Barnardo's, or similar establishment for Albert, but may also be relevant to what she did next. For example, did she remarry? There's a marriage for a Rose B Collins to Robert Limerick, Mar Q 1919, Croydon, 2a 699. (transcribed as 'Ross' B Collins on ancestry)
sdup26

Postby hannahplant2 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:35 pm

My grandfather was in the care of Barnardo's and they remained in touch with him until he was 21, he was in Barnardo's homes at the age of 5 but was moved around a lot until they put him in lodgings when he could work (still only early teens). I recommend their tracing service if you wish to find out more detail as they sent a huge amount of documents and pictures. Hope this helps.
hannahplant2

Return to General research queries