Moderator Control Panel ]

Brickwall: Ellen Mary Parfitt b 1884(?) birth record

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Postby deke » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:51 am

The evidence I currently have for Ellen's birth as 1884 is from dates given on Census and her marriage, but no birth record, unless I just missed it somehow.
The name varies, the most common is Ellen Mary Lunn Parfitt, although in one census it was Hellen, and sometimes the surname is spelled Parfett.
Parents (we think) are Henry Lunn Parfitt b 1838 and Eliza Smith b 1848, and the birthplace is given as Whitton, Middlesex.
I've often wondered about Ellen's origins for a number of reasons - her parents were pretty old when they married and had her, and she would seem to be their only child which is unusual for that time, and in photos she stands out as very different. So was she possibly 'adopted' or a foundling? The only way to clear this up is I guess if we can find her birth record, I may have missed it of course!
All thoughts and pointers very gratefully received.
deke

Re: Brickwall: Ellen Mary Parfitt b 1884(?) birth record

Postby carobradford » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:40 am

I take your point about the age of the parents and the unusualness of only children, but, as they did not marry until 1880, I think you should give the benefit of the doubt. Ellen was baptised as the daughter of Henry and Eliza on 5 October 1884 at St Philip & St James, Whitton. It is possible that they failed to register her birth or that they did register it and the registration got lost in the system and failed to make the GRO index, but I wonder if this might be her:

Births Dec 1884
Parforth Ellen Mary Brentford 3a 69

There is no other record of a person of this name.
carobradford

Postby brunes08 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:25 pm

Eliza is not that old to have a first child. She was, according to the dates you provide, approximately 35/36 years old. I know several couples who have had only one child with the wife in her late 30s or early 40s so your family's situation is not that unusual although as you say, the child could have been adopted. There may be perfectly good reasons why the couple did not marry earlier. Have you found them on census returns to see what their situations were from their births to marriage? I ask only to save us time hunting for them if you have already done this.
brunes08

Re: Brickwall: Ellen Mary Parfitt b 1884(?) birth record

Postby deke » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:04 am

As far as I can see Eliza was from Suffolk and in domestic service and Henry, from Hampshire, was a soldier.
One interesting photo of Ellen is in a surround celebrating a coronation with the words 'none so loyal as the sons and daughters of Erin' which I understand relates to Ireland. No idea why she chose to have that as the family had no links there. But, Henry's regiment was based in Ireland for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
deke

Return to General research queries