Moderator Control Panel ]

What is the best website

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

What is the best website

Postby debbie1988 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:51 pm

What is the best websites to use for when searching for family members ect so far I have used anscetey and find my past and the free one

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
debbie1988

Re: What is the best website

Postby Sylcec » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:37 pm

Debbie - there is no single 'best' website for genealogical research. What you use depends on what you are looking for, which country is the basis of the majority of your research and a plethora of other factors.

If you are new to family history research then I suggest that you begin by using the free sites - Familysearch.org is the largest and classic resource provided by the LDS Church (known to many as Mormons). In addition to great search functionality, they also offer a wiki which provides advice on how to proceed. If you are doing UK research then plenty of background info and guidance can be found on Genuki, GRO indexes are on FREEbmd. Ancestry and Findmypast host some wonderful datasets, but the beginner can easily get lost in knowing how to use them. At all costs, do NOT rely on on-line family trees, many are unsourced and/or copied from elsewhere without being checked.
Sylcec

Postby Mick Loney » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:40 am

Debbie,
I agree with Sylsec, it really depends on your area of interest. The coverage of the paid for sites, like Ancestry and Findmypast, are different, not only in countries covered, but counties too!

Value for money, it has got to be FamilySearch (it's free :) )Their coverage increases day by day, and an awful lot of images are freely available if you register with the site (you don't have to become a Mormon to register as a normal user). Once registered, you can search their Catalogue and find lots of record films to browse, especially useful for those films those that haven't yet been indexed.

As for on-line family trees, don't be afraid of using them as a potential source. Yes many have unsourced information and should be treated with extreme caution, but as long as you double check for yourself, it shouldn't be a problem. In saying that, it follows that you too should be careful in providing sources for every piece of information in your own tree. Just quoting another on-line tree is not good enough, as you will then be guilty of propagating potentially incorrect data, find another another source to confirm the information in the tree is accurate and worthy of inclusion in your own tree.

Good hunting.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby debbie1988 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:16 am

I have been doing my family tree for years I have used all the websites

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
debbie1988

Return to Genealogy chat