Moderator Control Panel ]

Abrook or Angell

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Abrook or Angell

Postby woodchal » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:46 pm

Some researchers suggest that Henry John Abrook is really Henry John Angell and that he somehow took on the surname of William Abrook, when later did not board the boat to Australia. They were both born in Isle of Wight in around 1854, and Henry John Abrook (or Angell) died in Rockdale, NSW in 1932. Can anyone authentic this fact?

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
woodchal

Re: Abrook or Angell

Postby Sylcec » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:55 pm

Some intermediate info would help, such as last sighting in UK, when he is supposed to have arrived in Aus. Anyway, herewith funeral notice from SMH 23 May 1932:
ABROOK -The Relatives and Friends of Mrs PROUDFOOT and FAMILY Mr and Mrs W BLAKENEY and FAMILY Mr and Mrs J CARROLL and FAMILY Mr and Mrs H ABROOK and FAMILY are kindly invited to attend the Funeral of their late beloved FATHER and GRAND FATHER, Henry John Abrook to leave Wood Coffills Mortuary Chapel 210 George street city THIS MONDAY at 1 15 p m for Methodist Cemetery, Woronora via Central Station.

Have you got his death cert or transcript? Even though the index only says age 75 & no parents names, there may still be useful additional information on the full record, such as age and place of marriage etc.

I see that sadly he had a son, Bert, who died in France in 1917, but I cannot find a marriage for Henry in NSW. However, found births for Bertie (1888), so Henry was here by then, and Harry (1891)
Sylcec

Postby Sylcec » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:16 pm

I notice on the 1881 UK census that there is a Henry Abrook, age 31, ship carpenter, born Newtown, Isle of Wight; with wife Edith, age 37. (no children). The age is a bit out, but if nothing else it does establish that a person of the same name - Henry Abrook - was born on the Isle of Wight.
Ref: RG11; Piece: 1217; Folio: 54; Page: 46;.

Also - correction to my previous post. I now see that Henry John and his wife Alice were having children here from 1880, with the father's name being recorded simply as John, but note with interest that the first child is named Edith - irrelevant coincidence?

So - now I find the marriage in Sydney in 1877 between John Abrook and Alice Wild - have you got that certificate, and does it say anything useful? So, could this be your man in 1871?
Name: John Abrook
Estimated birth year: abt 1854
Relation: Son
Father's name: Thomas Abrook
Mother's name: Hannah Abrook
Where born: Locks Green, Hampshire, England
Civil Parish: Calbourne
Ecclesiastical parish: Newtown
Town: Newtown
County/Island: Hampshire
Registration district: Isle Of Wight
Sub-registration district: Calbourne
others in family:
Thomas Abrook 46
Hannah Abrook 43
Kate Abrook 21
Charlotte Abrook 19
John Abrook 17
Alice Abrook 13
Harry Abrook 9
Adelade Abrook 1

Now we just have to get him from England to Australia between 1871 and 1877! However, as a mariner, he may have come as crew, rather than an assisted or paying passenger, so would not appear on the usual sort of lists.
Sylcec

Postby meekhcs » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:01 am

In the 1911 census Henry Abrook born 1853 Newtown I of Wight is recorded as lodging with the Hogan Family at 27 Clarence Sq Gosport Alverstoke Hampshire. He is recorded as a widower and his profession is that of a shipwright at Camper Nicholson.
meekhcs

Postby woodchal » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:47 pm

We have his Australian end tied down. It is just this odd story that Henry John Abrook, is really Henry John Angell and that he somehow "took" the name of William Abrook - I have no idea if there is anything tangible about the story

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
woodchal

Postby woodchal » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:42 pm

After a bit of research I found an article on this subject in the Isle of Wight Family History Society Journal (No 72 from Feb 2004).

It refers to some hand written notes from 1955 by a Mr Fred Fallick of Porchfield The IOWFS article transcribes some of the relevant sections of this letter.

The notes relate that his uncle (James Fallick) had told the story about an Henry Angell having taken the ticket of a William Abrook, who had decided not to travel to Australia. He had travelled with his uncle and that Angell had assumed the Abrook surname, though not the christian name.

The article then attributes this to our Abrook as James Fallick appears to have travelled with him to Singleton NSW via New Zealand and Sydney and that James Fallick was a witness at Abrook/Angell's wedding in Sydney on 12th May 1877. Indeed they had married sisters, Alice and Elizabeth WILD originally from Wiltshire

A very odd story - is it true? Anyone have any thoughts?
woodchal

Postby woodchal » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:27 pm

So a further update

A John A(l)brook and a James Fallick arrived in Auckland New Zealand on the Loch Awe 22 June 1874. Also on board were the Wild family. Abrook and Fallick eventual married two of the Wild sisters. I think we can assume that they all met on the boat, which would explain why Abrook was never able to revert back to his birth name as his wife had only every known him as an "Abrook" (ref IOWFHS article)

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... ochawe.htm
woodchal

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:18 pm

What an interesting story about the assumption of the other name. Seems to me that it's the sort of thing that would happen somewhere, sometime. As for never reverting, it's also possible that he felt he was in too deep to switch back suddenly, for fear of the consequences from the authorities, never mind his wife.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to General research queries