Moderator Control Panel ]

WW1

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

WW1

Postby KayFarndon » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:42 pm

I have details of a family member who died in 1918 and according to the print out from the Commonwealth War Graves it states that he was, 'Remembered with honour' at Leon [St Andre] Cemetery, which is in France.

I have accessed this site, but my ancestor is not listed. Can anyone tell me why this is please?
KayFarndon

Re: WW1

Postby coopernicola » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:31 pm

There appear to be just 4 men buried here, members of the 78th company, Canadian Forestry Corps. Even checking on the Canadian site http://www.mapleleaflegacy.ca/search/search.php the same men are the only ones listed.
Is he perhaps buried/remembered in a 'home' cemetery. Occasionally remains were repatriated.
coopernicola

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:14 pm

KayFarndon wrote:... I have accessed this site, but my ancestor is not listed. Can anyone tell me why this is please?

Sorry Kay - not listed where? Do you mean not listed at all on the CWGC site? Or not listed as buried at Leon St. Andre?
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby g w aldous » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:34 am

He may not be buried there but named on a memorial in that graveyard.
g w aldous

Postby Sue1965 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:54 pm

Whilst at Thiepval, I noticed my family name on the wall, it's not listed on the web site although the names above and below are. I will get around to asking the CWCG about it (they have been massively helpful with other queries) I'm guessing there are so many names unless it's pointed out they won't know it's "missing"

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Sue1965

Postby KayFarndon » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:13 pm

Thank you all for replying. I did mean not listed at Leon St Andre. I am thinking perhaps his body was not found and he is just remembered there. Perhaps they do not list those who are only remembered.
KayFarndon

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:13 pm

I would be fairly certain, Kay, that the CWGC entry for him should make it clear somehow whether he is buried there or simply commemorated there. Having said that, you may need to understand what the relevant phrases are. For instance, my G-Uncle has this in his CWGC entry:

Panel Reference:
Panel 19 - 22.
Memorial:
YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

I guess you need to understand here that (a) the Menin Gate is a memorial, not a cemetery and / or (b) that the word panel indicates a commemoration, not a grave. Indeed, the data for him includes the statement that panels "are lists of individuals commemorated on memorials or screen walls and reflect the details and layout inscribed on the panels. Individuals are commemorated in this way when their loss has been officially declared by their relevant service but there is no known burial for the individual, or in circumstances where graves cannot be individually marked, or where the grave site has become inaccessible and unmaintainable."

Having said all that I am slightly puzzled that I can do a search for the Menin Gate and get a reference to thousands commemorated there but a search on Leon St. Andre gives only the 4 buried there who, you say, do not include your chap. But without seeing his own CWGC entry I can't tell you what's going on....

So if you can tell us his details, I can take a look at his entry and see what I think it's supposed to mean...
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby KayFarndon » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:15 am

Thank you Adrian. all I have is a print-out sent to me by someone and which I was told was from the Commonwealth Graves Commission. it states:

Private Charles Jesney 100376 78th Coy., Canadian Forestry Corps who died age 47 on Friday 4th October 1918.

Remembered with honour Leon [St Andre] Cemetery.

Charles was the son of my great grandmother's sister and they were from a family of 12 children and I have been trying to compile as much information about the siblings as I can. I am not desperate for the info, just curious, as I would like to know where he died if possible. He had no offspring, so it is only for my own curiosity.
KayFarndon

Postby ianbee » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:01 am

Have you seen his service record?
http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?op= ... B4831-S009
56 images
Says that Charles died of pneumonia and influenza
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:06 am

CWGC says that Charles Jesney is one of the four soldiers of 78th Coy Forestry Corps buried at Leon St Andre.
You can view and download the headstone schedules.
ianbee

Next

Return to General research queries