Moderator Control Panel ]

WW1

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: WW1

Postby ianbee » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:25 am

Says, Name of Cemetery - Leon Com Cem
On the grave registration report form, place of burial, St Andrew's Cemetery is crossed out, leaving it to say Leon CC
Close to rear wall of cemetery, and to left of main path. Row 2, (L to R)

Headstone to read "Gone but not forgotten but to memory ever dear"
ianbee

Postby coopernicola » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:28 am

ianbee wrote:Says that Charles died of pneumonia and influenza

It actually states this on the Canadian website I suggested above.
There may be a headstone, the cemetery is quite large, many of the headstones appear to be the usual WWI style.
coopernicola

Postby phsvm » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:27 am

Maybe slightly off track from this thread but definitely worth mentioning here.

There are a number of names missing from CWGC lists that need adding. The In From The Cold Project are trying to remedy this. Have a look at their website

http://www.infromthecold.org/

I'm am currently carrying out research that means I am reading many war diaries. Whenever I find the name of a solider listed in a diary as killed I always check the CWGC website and if the individual concerned is not mentioned I contact the IFTC people. Doesn't happen often but they are there and need due recognition.
phsvm

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:29 am

Ian's done this but I said I'd check myself so....

He does appear to be buried there.

Search the CWGC site by individual advanced search for Charles Jesney, WW1. There is 1 record only (for your chap), noted as "LEON (ST. ANDRE) CEMETERY"

The detail says:
JESNEY, CHARLES
Service No: 100376
Date of Death: 04/10/1918
Regiment/Service: Canadian Forestry Corps 78th Coy.
Grave Reference:
Cemetery: LEON (ST. ANDRE) CEMETERY
Additional Information: Husband of Elizabeth Jesney, of 10548, 79th Avenue, South Edmonton, Alta, Canada.

The fact that there is no grave reference does suggest that he is only commemorated on a plaque and does not have a physical grave.

Just to cross check: Search CWGC site by Cemetery. Type Leon and choose" Leon (St. Andre) Cemetery". This gives only 4 burials - one of whom is your chap and his data gives the same details as above.

(Incidentally, you can go to some images from the CWGC page for Leon (St. Andre) Cemetery - these cannot be for that place as there are many more than 4 CWGC graves there!)

The Graves Registration Report for Charles (suggest that you download the two JPGs to read, otherwise they're too small) refers to the cemetery first as "St. Andrew's Cemetery, Leon", but then amends it to "Leon CC". It does explicitly state "The following are buried here", giving the 4 burials, inc. Charles Jesney, noting the 4 as "All Crosses erected" and places each of them in a row. I suspect that the fact that this is an ordinary French cemetery has resulted in the lack of a CWGC style grave reference. So my impression at the start ("The fact that there is no grave reference..." etc) was wrong.

The headstone forms (again 2 pages that should be downloaded for comfortable reading) describe this as "Leon Com Cem" (Communal Cemetery?) suggesting some confusion about the name, at least! They provide full details of the stone, confirming a burial.

From the CWGC page for the site you can bring up a map, use Google Streetview and it drops you right outside the cemetery if you're careful where you start. From muddling around in Streetview for Leon and looking at some of the pctures, I think the (a?) church in Leon is indeed St. Andre.

Note that there is also a "St. Pol-De-Leon Communal Cemetery" but that is clearly not this one.

So in summary - he is buried at Léon, but apparently in the Communal Cemetery and not in a graveyard adjacent to St. André.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ianbee » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:33 am

coopernicola wrote:It actually states this on the Canadian website I suggested above.

Well yes, but that website gives the service number of David Bell, one of the four, as 100046. As does the CWGC. In fact it was 1000468
David Bell also died of "influenzia & pneumonia" (it doesn't say that on the Maple Leaf website)

In fact all four men died within a fortnight, cause of death was the same in each case. For Milton Cornell, the last to die, his service record has his place of death "reposted to"?? "French Hosp Pavillon des Isolment DAX"
An isolation hospital in Dax? But Milton's death was ten days after the other three.
ianbee

Postby KayFarndon » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:46 pm

Many thanks to all of you for such in depth replies. I have already had a look and can now add this to my family notes.
KayFarndon

Postby Chadwi » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:34 pm

ianbee wrote:Have you seen his service record?
http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?op= ... B4831-S009
56 images
Says that Charles died of pneumonia and influenza

Is this a website than one can search for service records of Canadian military? I tried the shortened form http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca but that didn't work
Chadwi

Previous

Return to General research queries