Moderator Control Panel ]

missing father on marriage cert

Recently watched a repeat and discovered something new? Have a query about how the show is made? This is the place to have your say

missing father on marriage cert

Postby owenlee4me » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:10 pm

cAn anyone offer advice please.
Frances Eyre was born 1890?
marriage certificate to George Lillie, has her father
"deceased" no name or occupation.

SHe married and Lived in Walker Tyneside, but i cannot find her on
1891, 1901 or 1911 census.

SHe is naturally on the 1939 register as she married G Lillie in 1913.

thanks
owenlee4me

Re: missing father on marriage cert

Postby coopernicola » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:22 am

Usually if the name of the father is omitted on a marriage certificate it's because the person is illegitimate. I guess if Francis had been orphaned at a young age she may not have known her parents names. Who are the witnesses to the marriage? They can provide clues to other family.
coopernicola

Re: missing father on marriage cert

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:32 pm

If she's on the 1939, you must have her birthday. Do you have her birth certificate? That should resolve the father issue. I have to say that illegitimate people marrying post 1837 have, in my experience, nothing for their father, because legally they had no father. To record that an illegitimate father was deceased makes no sense because that person didn't exist legally so couldn't have died. (I'm explaining why, not asking for you to think it makes sense!)

I wonder if it simply meant that the father was dead and for some reason the clerk omitted the name (incorrectly, surely?)

Her mother might have remarried so she might be in the censuses under her step-father's name.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to General Who Do You Think You Are? chat