Moderator Control Panel ]

Help with WW2 army record, please

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Help with WW2 army record, please

Postby Singleton1922 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:09 pm

I am asking for help in tracing the army record of my late father (I haven't included his name at this stage but would do so if necessary). Some years ago my mother applied for this without success. We didn't have a service number or definite details of his regiment etc.
I am attaching a photo which I have been told shows the uniform of the Engineers. Can anyone confirm whether that is correct? I believe that dad spent the whole of the war in the UK and was a motorcycle courier. (He had motorbikes for many years and had the skills to maintain and repair them so this story is likely to be correct.) I think he was stationed at or near Cleethorpes, Lincs as he met my mother there whilst she was in the WVS serving refreshments to the troops passing through the station. I've done a little research following a trip to Bletchley Park last week, where I saw a display about the despatch riders, and believe that the Royal Signal Corps was connected to the Engineers. I don't think dad would have taken messages to Bletchley as there were no Y stations to my knowledge in Lincolnshire.
I have another clue which is a newspaper supplement dated June 1956 celebrating the bi-centenial of the Wiltshire Regiment (Duke of Edinburgh's). This was amongst my father's papers so I think he must have had a connection to this regiment. He lived in Salisbury although that doesn't necessarily mean he joined a local regiment.
Dad died when I was young so I never had the chance to ask any questions and Mum (who died a couple of years ago) was always very vague when I tried to find out more.
I would love to apply again to the MOD for his record but would need more information first. Does anyone have any suggestions how I can go about this please? I'm assuming for instance that there is no way of finding a service number.
Alternatively I would be interested to know about any publications that would give some background information.

Any thoughts or advice would be very welcome, particularly confirmation of the uniform if the photo shows enough detail
Many thanks Sandra
Attachments
dad army photo.jpg
dad army photo.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 3084 times
Singleton1922

Re: Help with WW2 army record, please

Postby meekhcs » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:10 pm

I applied for my Grandfathers WW2 records a couple of years ago. I didn't have his regiment or service number but I did have copies of his birth and death certs. As I was not his next of kin I was given his service records but no personal details. I believe this may have changed now.

I suggest you email/ring the records office and ask exactly what you need to produce in order to receive his records. I found them very helpful and they told me exactly what forms to send in. The cost is about £30.
meekhcs

Postby Singleton1922 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:27 pm

Thank you for your reply.
It was several years ago that we tried to get the record so perhaps copies of the 2 certificates would be enough now. I'll certainly contact them before trying again. I'm happy to pay £30 for the record but I don't think they refund the fee if nothing is found.

Kind regards
Sandra

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Singleton1922

Postby Jethro Tull » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:59 pm

Hi Singleton 1922,
I think the photo shows a cap badge for the Royal Artillery or Royal Horse Artillery. Can't quite tell from this pic but it does look like it and combined with the light coloured lanyard too it may well be. The flaming grenade collar badge was used from about 1941 onwards to replace the canon cap badge.

Sent from my SM-G900F using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Jethro Tull

Postby Jethro Tull » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:01 pm

I was meant to say too that the engineers have a similar badge that was worn so your original post may be correct too about the engineers. Just thought it would be worth a mention about the artillery.

Sent from my SM-G900F using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Jethro Tull

Postby Singleton1922 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:50 pm

Thanks Jethro,

Unfortunately the cap badge on the original image is a little blurred so it's not easy to make out any detail.
It's helpful to have different ideas about the possible regiment anyway

Kind regards
Sandra

Singleton1922

Postby ksouthall » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:08 pm

If he did anything noteworthy, it may be mentioned in the London Gazette - https://www.thegazette.co.uk/.
ksouthall

Postby Singleton1922 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:08 am

Thank you very much for the link. I've had a look and no luck this time though it could be useful to research other people in the future. I've remembered that there is a military museum in Salisbury for the Wiltshire regiments so I'll try to visit in the next few weeks for some background information.
Kind regards. Sandra

Singleton1922

Postby timbo58 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:23 pm

The rule is, as I understand it, if the person died more than 25 years ago you get the whole record, if less, without nok written permission you get the redacted version.
I'd also say if you have birth and death certificates usually they can find the records.

timbo58

Postby Singleton1922 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:50 am

Thank you for your reply; yes I think that's correct.
I am entitled to have the record (dad died 40 years ago and I am next of kin) but unfortunately it can't be traced.
I spoke to someone at the MOD, Glasgow and usually a record can be found using a name and DOB. Unfortunately in this case his name is either not on the database or has been entered incorrectly. I now need a service number which I simply don't have.
Other than clerical error can anyone suggest why a record would have been omitted?
Sandra

Singleton1922

Return to Military help