Moderator Control Panel ]

Dating an Ambrotype photograph

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Dating an Ambrotype photograph

Postby familyhistorynut » Sun May 04, 2008 9:53 pm

This photograph of two men seated at a table is in a beautiful mahogany frame and the glass on which the photograph is, is held in place by four removable pieces of what look like Rosewood. There are two holes in the bottom of the frame as if it was originally meant to stand on two wooden dowels. The frame is about 6" square. I would like to think one of them was my Gt Grandfather, William Elliot Thompson, who was born in 1832. He came into a considerable amount of money from an Aunt in 1877, and my mother told me he would hire a coach and take his 'cronies' down to London. Unfortunately he spent it all.

Do you think it is possible that this photograph was taken around this time? Is there anyway of finding out where the studio was? If there is any information to glean from the photograph, it would be very exciting.

[image]local://283/AF8E8C219CE144219821AB3B547BFC1E.jpg[/image]
familyhistorynut

RE: Dating an Ambrotype photograph

Postby familyhistorynut » Fri May 09, 2008 1:20 am

IF YOU WANT TO SEE A BETTER VIEW OF THIS AMBROTYPE PHOTOGRAPH PLEASE SEE MY OTHER POST.
familyhistorynut

Return to Photo identification