Moderator Control Panel ]

DEARNESS

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

DEARNESS

Postby cjhepworth » Sun May 04, 2008 3:16 am

My maiden name is Dearness (not too common). I have started to trace my family and got as far as my Great-Great Grandfather Robert, who was born in South Ronaldsay, Orkney, but I'm not quite sure when. He moved to Yorkshire and married Winifred Brown on 22 August 1912 and died on 31 March 1940.
This, as with many other people's family trees, gets confusing, as not only was His father Robert, but his son, grandson, great grandson and great great grandson (not a very imainative lot on the name front!!!)
If anyone recognises a glut of Robert Dearness's in their family tree - I would love to hear from them
Julie
cjhepworth

RE: DEARNESS

Postby paulberyl » Thu May 08, 2008 4:46 am

Julie,

I have found a Robert Dearness born in 1886 in South Ronaldsay on the ScotlandsPeople site at
[link=http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/]http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/[/link]

This is a fantastic site for tracing Scottish ancestors potentially back to 1553.

Paul
paulberyl

RE: DEARNESS

Postby cjhepworth » Fri May 09, 2008 3:33 am

Thanks Paul,
Followed the lead you gave and Great Great Grandad Robert Dearness was born on 6th April 1886 in Hoxa, South Ronaldsay !!!
Another step forward!!!
His parents were Jemima Norquay and ( yes - you've guessed it) Robert - so I'm on the chase now
Thanks again - Julie
cjhepworth

Re: DEARNESS

Postby tossom » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:46 pm

There are still Dearnesses in Hoxa, South Ronaldsay - fair chance I am a distant relation!

Don't really know much about the family tree, but will ask a cousin who does a bit of amateur research and will post if they know anything.
tossom

Postby tossom » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:22 pm

Hello, have found out that your Great great Granddad was most probably Bob Dearness from The Bu' farm in Hoxa. My mum thinks some of the family are now in Caithness. We think the Robert Dearness you are looking for was my great great grandad's younger brother. However, the brother could be Robert Dearness snr you spoke of. Still, pretty interesting though!
tossom

Postby Mark Dearness » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:28 pm

I am Mark Alexander Dearness, my father was Alexander Robert Dearness and my brother was James Robert Dearness. my grandfather was Alexander John Dearness, and we too hailed from the orkneys and have relatives in Australia, Melbourne I believe. if any of thid rings true with you Id love to hear from you.
Mark
Mark Dearness

Postby dearness_adamson » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:52 am

My name is Marissa Adamson. My mum was a Dearness. We live in Townsville, QLD but have been told we have originated from the Orkney Islands. I have just started on this side of my family tree and only have limited info. Any info I could receive would be great or if I could help anyone with the info I have would be great also.
dearness_adamson

Postby Sheena pain » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:37 pm

Following the queries re Robert Dearness. He was my Great Uncle. Yes he would have brought up as a child at The Bu. He was my father's brother I believe and his successors live at the next farm. I am
In contact with a cousin who is a descendant. The family are still on the mainland of Orkney. I can supply you with the contact. Sheena Dearness-Pain now in Weymouth England
Sheena pain

Return to General research queries