Moderator Control Panel ]

Julia Flinn, Born Abt. 1823 blanches town - Help needed

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Postby rfitzgerald1963 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:58 am

I have traced my 3x great grandmother as a Julia Flinn, born abt. 1823 in Blanches town in Ireland, she married William John Wade on 31st Dec 1848, at All saints, Edmonton. but cannot find anything about here before this. there is a Juliet Flynn who marries a William Wade on 8th Jan in Edmonton but this is not the one I do not think. if anyone has any idea's or can point me in the right direction would be very grateful.

Thanks

Richard
rfitzgerald1963

Re: Julia Flinn, Born Abt. 1823 blanches town - Help needed

Postby Sylcec » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:24 am

Although I can find the marriage register entry for William Wade to Juliet Flynn on Jan 8, 1849 at St Andrews, Enfield; the only reference I can find to the marriage at Edmonton is in the GRO Indexes:
Marriages Mar 1849
Flynn Juliet Edmonton 3 95
Wade William Edmonton 3 95
and this would seem to correspond to the Enfield marriage.

Do you have a certificate or other reliable evidence for the 31 Dec 1848 marriage date? If so, you need to make a careful comparison between the info on it and that on the register referred to above. I note that on 8 Jan 1849 neither William nor Juliet signed their name, both said they were of "full age"; William's father was also William, and Juliet's was named John Flynn; both were labourers. One of the witnesses was Mary Ann Wade (who did sign) and was possibly a relative of William's.

Are you sure of Juliet's place of birth? I cannot find a "Blanches Town" in Ireland. However Blanchardstown is now a large suburb of Dublin.
Sylcec

Postby rfitzgerald1963 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:17 am

Parish records for All saints Edmonton show banns for William Wade of the parish of Enfield and Julia Finn, of this parish, banns published 17 Dec, 24 Dec & 31Dec. This matches with the England select marriages record which is dated 31 Dec 1848 William Wade & Julia Fline (think surname is just a transcription error) it is odd that there is a marriage on 8th of issue is that Williams father is listed as a William Wade as well but I think in the family I have traced William's father is called Joseph I got this from the Baptism records. And I am struggling to make sense of it all

You are right about Blanches town and I have amended that. And it's odd as now it throws up one Julie Flinn right date daughter of John Flinn

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
rfitzgerald1963

Postby ianbee » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:35 am

There is only one marriage. William Wade and Juliet Flinn, 8.1.1849, at Enfield.
This is the marriage found in the GRO indexes, March qtr 1849, Edmonton. Edmonton registration district included Enfield.
The "marriage" on Family Search, 31 Dec 1848, at Edmonton, will be the banns record (date of last calling). FS are known to index some banns records as marriages. You have seen the Edmonton banns yourself - published 17, 24, 31, Dec.
ianbee

Postby rfitzgerald1963 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:27 am

I have found the banns page but it is at a different Church, the big issue I can't make she of the father as William John Wades father is Joseph on all the concur and baptism records I can find but on the wedding one it says William

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
rfitzgerald1963

Postby meekhcs » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:48 am

It's entirely possible that William's Father's name was incorrectly transcribed in the Parish Record.

As Sylvia mentioned a witness was Mary Ann Wade. Can you trace her? If she turns out to be William's sister then that will hopefully help prove the name of William's Father and confirm you have the correct Family
meekhcs

Postby brunes08 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:08 pm

If the couple lived in different parishes then the Banns would have been read in the two respective Parish Churches. This was a requirement since 1215 so this might explain your difficulty. Sometimes, to save the expense of having Banns read in two parishes, the couple will appear to be living together as their address is the same on the marriage certificate. If Banns were not to be read then a Licence would be required. Edmonton and Enfield are next to each other - if you do not know the area in Greater London.
brunes08

Postby rfitzgerald1963 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:35 pm

the family that i think is correct does not have a Mary Ann but does have a marina who is the younger sister to William John, i can't find a William with a son William at the dates that this seems to be, i know that on other marriages in the family they have given a different name for the grooms father as well as occupation. really stuck on this and if anyone can help me out with next steps i really would appreciate it.

Thanks
rfitzgerald1963

Postby Cbarnaby » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:37 pm

I'm researching this tree too, I have found that her parents names were possibly John and Honor but after that I'm stuck!
Cbarnaby

Return to General research queries