Moderator Control Panel ]

Annie Urquhart

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Annie Urquhart

Postby sheilau » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:56 pm

I am trying to find any information about my husband's grandmother. The only information I have is from my father in law's birth certificate. Annie Urquhart gave birth to Douglas on 4th May 1919 at 28 Marloes Rd Kensington. She was a parlourmaid and lived at 9 Blithfield St Kensington.
I know that 28 Marloes Rd was St Mary Abbots Hospital and part of the workhouse. I have no date of birth and would really like to find one for her. We think she originally came from the Black Isle.
Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
sheilau

Re: Annie Urquhart

Postby peter kent » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:49 pm

I don't know whether the hospital admission & discharge registers at London Metropolitan Archives (not online) might be worth checking.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hosp ... tabase.y=0
peter kent

Postby brunes08 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:08 pm

I was told by relatives that my grandmother's father was from Scotland. From my research, I discovered that he was actually born in Lincolnshire. It was his mother that was from Scotland. Following on from that thought, I wondered if Annie's parents were from Scotland rather than her. I looked at the 1911 census and found a 14 year old Annie Urquart living with her parents, John and Minnie and siblings, at 475 Battersea Park Road - not too far from Kensington. There is no indication that the family were from Scotland but it might be worth while spreading the net a bit wider.
brunes08

Postby sheilau » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:34 pm

Thanks for your help

sheilau

Postby sheilau » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:36 pm

peter kent wrote:I don't know whether the hospital admission & discharge registers at London Metropolitan Archives (not online) might be worth checking.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hosp ... tabase.y=0
Thanks

sheilau

Postby Margaret Hirst » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:54 am

What happened to your father-in-law after his birth? Was he fostered/adopted out or did he live with his mother or have any further contact with her? Were there any siblings?
Margaret Hirst

Postby Margaret Hirst » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:33 am

Sheila - I've just seen your tree on Ancestry which gives details about your father-in-law's later life. I see that he kept the same name.

Since he was in the Royal Navy and received a Long Service and Good Conduct Medal in 1954, have you considered sending off for his Service Record (you may already have done that)? That should give some detail about his next of kin - prior to his marriage - provided he signed up before that.
Margaret Hirst

Postby sheilau » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:25 pm

Margaret thanks for your help. I have his naval service record and ,unfortunately, it is of no help.

sheilau

Postby Margaret Hirst » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:57 pm

Sheila - that's a shame.

I'll apologise in advance if this is a "teaching grandma to suck eggs" suggestion, but have you checked through all of the information given on the record? Did it give any indication of a next of kin? Even if that wasn't his mother, was it someone who might have been connected some other way? Also, his home address (if one was given) might link back to someone.

What happened to Douglas during the time he was growing up? Was he fostered or in some sort of home? (It would be totally understandable if you didn't want to share any of this information publicly, by the way, but even the smallest piece could provide the key to it all.)

Where have you been with your research and what have you found / not found?
Margaret Hirst

Postby Dorian » Tue May 09, 2017 4:32 pm

Sheila - did you find any answers?

I am looking into what happened to a child that was born at 28 Marloes Road in 1936.

Were children there typically fostered first? Any link to Sussex that anyone is aware of?

Thanks.
Dorian

Next

Return to General research queries