Moderator Control Panel ]

Training ship 'Exmouth'

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Re: Training ship 'Exmouth'

Postby ianbee » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:08 pm

Hi
He (135645) is Arthur Robbins.
Robinson is an error on findmypast/FamilySearch.
address 41 Salisbury Road, Grays, Essex
wife Emma Norton, married 26 Dec 1911 Essex
Ian
ianbee

Postby MoVidger » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:03 pm

Hi Ian, many thanks for details relating to that 1915 service record. Now if I could just work out the connection between the two Robinson boys and the Allen family living at 33 Reaston Street. :? Even though William stated his birthplace was Greenwich, I'm wondering if they were born somewhere else? After all, that 1901 census for Surrey indicates "N" for birthplace for both brothers. Perhaps they're connected to the family of Margaret Sophia Allen (nee Wilson) who was born in Ireland.
MoVidger

Postby ianbee » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:37 am

Hi Mo
I think that it might well be Henry + Harriet Robinson's sons that you are looking for.
This is a bit convoluted, bear with me!
We know that Arthur and William were admitted to the Greenwich workhouse in 1895, and that their father was said to be dead, and that their mothers address was 33 Reaston Street.
Looking at that family again, there are two school admissions to Colls Road Infants School in Peckham.

Arthur Robinson, admitted 4.9.1893 (but transcribed as 1898 on ancestry, though there is no doubt, and they have admissions from 1893 on the pages either side!)
Arthur's date of birth is given as 7 Dec 1887, parent or guardian is Harriett (mother), of 60 King Arthur St. No leaving dates given in the register.
So with the mother being named as the parent, it looks to me that Henry had died. Although on the second Colls Road Infants School record -
Alfred Robinson, admitted 24.8.97, born 29.9.92. Father Henry, address 34 Loder Street (no leaving date). So somewhat similar details to the baptism at St Jude (but birthday 6 days out, living at 34 rather than 31 Loder).

The son William Robinson born 1890 is not indexed at the school, but I am wondering that maybe he was not going to start until he was around about 5, and never made it there. There is no likely death record in south London that I can see.
Arthur Robinson does not appear to be indexed later as being admitted to the Boys School, even though his younger brother was admitted to the Infants in 1897.
So it's possible that William and Arthur are the ones going to Sutton - Harriet applies for relief, she keeps the youngest son Alfred, but the price of help is that the two older boys have to go into the workhouse school.

But why Greenwich?
On Arthur's school record it says that last school attended was Monson Road. Now that school is in New Cross, and just round the corner from Reaston Street.
And looking for a possible death of dad around the time of the change of schools (and parish/union), there is this one
Sep 1893 Greenwich 1d 679
Robinson, Henry
age 44

And now we get lucky. He died in the Greenwich Union Infirmary.
Creed register, 1891-1893
Henry Robinson
age 44
admitted 10 May
parish St Pauls
creed EC
relative - Wife Harriet 22 Reaston St
discharge - Dead 21.7.93

The A+D register gives Henry's occupation as Labourer.
And less than two months after Henry's death Harriet has son Arthur admitted to Colls Rd Infants, back in Camberwell. Perhaps she returned to Reaston Street for a spell in 1895?
So I am hopeful this will work out.
Ian
Attachments
Greenwich Infirmary Creed.jpg
Greenwich Infirmary Creed.jpg (16.52 KiB) Viewed 1785 times
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:35 pm

He had also been admitted to the Infirmary in January
Henry Robinson
age 44
admitted 16 Jany 93
from St Paul
creed EC
relative Wife 22 Reaston St
discharged 1.4.93
(A+D = D. to care of wife)
ianbee

Postby MoVidger » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:00 pm

Hi Ian - stellar research, as always! :) Based on these records, this family looks like a very good fit. The birth dates are all over the shop, but I reckon this family had too much on their plate to be concerned with exact dates (or even exact addresses).

I still find it odd that William gives a totally different date of birth in the 1939 Register. Perhaps he went through life not knowing his real DOB ?? And stating his father was "Arthur" on his marriage cert was a big red herring, as well. But it appears you've solved the mystery.

I wonder if the reference to 33 Reaston Street, in the 1895 workhouse record, may have been mis-remembered by the boys' mother?

I'll be delving into the parents pre-1891 details now! :D Actually, after quite a few searches, these folks are proving difficult to locate. Unless I've missed it, there doesn't appear to be a marriage for Henry Edward Robinson and Harriet Jane Newman. There's a possibility Henry Edward was born in Newington in 1844. He appears in 1871 in Islington with a wife named Emma; he's a journeyman painter. I'm unable to locate him in the 1861 and 1881 census.

I'm unable to locate Alfred Robinson in the 1901 census. Harriet is living on her own in Newington, and using her maiden name Newman. In 1911, Harriet and Alfred are living with a William Canning (their birth places are incorrectly listed as 'Warwick'). Interestingly, Harriet and William didn't marry until 1918 in Islington.

So far I have a likely candidate for Harriet Jane Newman. The 1891 census has her birth place as 'Camberwell' (born c1859). Birth 1862 Newington -- parents James & Harriet (nee Edmonds).
MoVidger

Postby ianbee » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:46 pm

Anything here, Mo?
London, England, Poor Law School District Registers, 1852-1918
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=61452

Thank you to Rosemary for posting about this in Genealogy news roundup a few days ago (must check that more regularly!)
Ian
ianbee

Postby MoVidger » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:15 pm

Hi Ian - many thanks for the heads-up regarding this new collection! I've just found both Robinson lads at the Brighton Road School, admitted in 1895. :D

Still wish I could work out what happened to Arthur Robinson after 1904. On his TS Exmouth record, it indicates "Particulars of Discharge: SS Saxon as deck boy". Hmm...
MoVidger

Previous

Return to Military help