Moderator Control Panel ]

Robert Holford Cole

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Robert Holford Cole

Postby roncole » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:20 pm

Hello
This man was my Great Grandfather and was born on 13th August 1854 in North Woolwich Kent to William & Ann Cole . The latter was "formerly Chapman". William was a Dock Labourer and they lived in High St North Woolwich Kent . I have Roberts marriage certificate from Syston in 1873 (he was a labourer on the Railway)in Lincolnshire wherein Holford was shown as Alford and the rest of his history is there until his death in Sheffield in 1937. (In later life his middle name was shown as "Alfred"
However I can find nothing about Robert in the 1861 and 1871 censuses so his early life is a blank.

There is a family story (and I have found other such stories to be correct in essence - probably a generation out) - that one of my Cole ancestors had a "Negro Nanny". I am only quoting what my father told me many years ago. So the question arises was it this part of the family and did the aforesaid William Cole join the forces and end up abroad ?

I would love to discover the early life of Robert and also anything about William and Ann, such as where did they originate.
Is there anyone else researching this family?, and if so can you help please
roncole

Re: Robert Holford Cole

Postby Jon Bauckham » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:05 pm

Moving to the General Research Queries area
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Postby brunes08 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:02 pm

This may be your family - maybe not but worth considering. In the census returns for 1861 and 1871 there is a family called Cole living in Greenwich just along from Woolwich. There is a son Robert (aged 18 in 1871) born Greenwich, which covers Woolwich. He is the a bricklayers labourer. The parents are Henry W Cole and Mary Ann Cole both aged 51 yrs. he was born in Gloucestershire and she in Bedfordshire. Regarding their names, it is possible that they used their second names.
brunes08

Postby roncole » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:12 pm

Many thanks for your reply. Unfortunately this is not the same family as I found this Robert in the 1881 Census still in Greenwich, whereas my great grandfather was then in Lincolnshire. Many thanks for your help.
roncole

Postby JacquiR1 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:25 pm

Hello, Robert Holford or Alfred Cole is also my Husbands' 2 x Great Grandfather.
I did at first think that the Henry W Cole mentioned might be his father but discounted it when I found them in the 1881 census still in Woolwich. Then I found the birth certificate for Robert Holford Cole and realised that this was probably my man. I did wonder if Holford sounded like Alfred in a London accent. I to have been unable to find him in the 1861 and 1871 Census.
I understand that part of the 1861 census for Woolwich is missing and I have a feeling that the reason we can't find them is because they lived in that missing area.
Are there any other records available that could be substituted for the missing part of the census?
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
JacquiR1

Return to General research queries