Moderator Control Panel ]

Missing family member

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Missing family member

Postby Diaper » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:32 am

I think this is probably a lost cause but just wondered if anyone might have a suggestion as to a way forward. It was only after my Granddad had died that my brother and I happened to find on various censuses that he had had a number of siblings (whom we can never remember him ever mentioning when he was alive).
We managed to find 5 of his siblings plus my Granddad on the 1881, 1891 and 1901 censuses. However the 1911 census says there were 7 children and 2 died. We know one of Granddad's siblings died but there must be another one somewhere who presumably was born and died between censuses. Is there any way to try and find out who this sibling was when the surname is Clark (sometimes transcribed as Clarke) and they would have been born in Portsea? The longest gap between births of Granddad's siblings is a 3 year one and a 5 year one and post Granddad's birth but as there is no mention of mother's maiden names on birth records at that time it's made more difficult. I did try once listing births then deaths of Clarks with the same forename in one of the gaps but there were too many and I couldn't see a way forward without sending off for a myriad of birth and death certificates!
Diaper

Re: Missing family member

Postby sdup26 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:32 pm

You say you've found your grandad's siblings on the censuses, presumably living with their parents. Have you tried searching for their parent's marriage certificate, which would give you their mother's maiden name? You've got some clues - in the 1911 census, how long had they been married? Search around the likely marriage year, a couple of years either side at least, using father's full name and mother's first name, as given on the census.

If you'd be prepared to give us more details such as names, members of this forum would be happy to help you in the search.
sdup26

Missing family member

Postby Mick Loney » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:50 pm

As they were born/died before 1911,you are correct in stating you won't find them in the GRO indexes using mothers surname

One method I use, is:

1. Find which registration districts the other children were born. Hopefully they will all be the same (Portsea from your post I'm guessing), this will help you narrow your search area.

2. Search this district for deaths from the date of the marriage up to 1911. Note all those who would have been born during this period, especially during the 3 & 5 year gaps. This will narrow down your search.

3. With those found in step 2, find as many christenings as you can, and eliminate those with the wrong parents. You may also find the ones belonging to the correct parents, if so, job done.

Otherwise, hopefully, this will reduce your possible candidates to a manageable number. From these, look for familiar forenames used within the family.

Hope this helps you find them!

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby Diaper » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:00 pm

Thanks sdup26 and Mick Loney
I can certainly try your suggestions Mick but think that may be an undertaking for when I'm retired! I'm never quite sure where the best place to look for christening records is as I've searched Ancestry for individual's christening records on numerous occasions and haven't had much success.
Sdup26 I do know my granddad's mother's and father's names and details of the other siblings but can't see how that will help when the missing sibling was presumably born and then died in one of the gaps between siblings and between censuses and mother's maiden name wouldn't have been recorded pre 1911. Have I missed something?!
Diaper

Postby ianbee » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:34 pm

sdup26 wrote:If you'd be prepared to give us more details such as names, members of this forum would be happy to help you in the search.

Could be Harry/Henry and Emma Jane Clark. With H being a driller in the dockyard. In 1911, in Portsmouth, they report 7 children born alive, 5 living, 2 died. Although I think there are six we see alive in the various census returns.
Wonder if one of their children, Frederick Edward Clark, married a Hurley in 1917?

The Clark's were married 31 (completed) years in 1911, so the most obvious marriage would be
Sep 1879, Portsea I., Harry Clark + Emma Jane Pikesley
Maria Pikesley, 69, mother In law, in the Clark household in 1881.

Diaper wrote: mother's maiden name wouldn't have been recorded pre 1911.

You mean in the GRO indexes. Maiden name of the mother has always been given on birth certificates.
ianbee

Postby Mick Loney » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:15 pm

Diaper,
The best place to look for overall christenings is FamilySearch, which fortunately for us is free. The only downside is that the results don't usually come with images. Ancestry and Findmypast, whilst good, differ in the areas covered, so while one may be good for yorkshire records, the other may be better for Kent, with each trying to establish a niche market.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby Diaper » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:11 pm

Thanks Mick Loney and ianbee

You have the correct details Ian. Frederick Edward Clark was my Granddad and married Emily Hurley. His parents were Henry (sometimes Harry!) Clark who married his second wife Emma Pikesley in 1879. As you mention there were 7 children listed on the 1911 census with 2 having died by then. We know of 1 death (Elizabeth Clark in 1901) but not of another so are assuming it is a male or female who was born and died between censuses so has never been listed on a census. Its this male or female sibling of Granddad's that I am trying to find but as you can imagine with a surname of Clark in Portsea its not that easy! Granddad's siblings were born in 1880 (Emma), 1881 (Elizabeth), 1883 (Kate), 1886 (William), 1887 (George who was killed in WW1) then Granddad in 1892 so my guess as to probable birth and death of this mystery sibling would be between 1883 and 1886 or 1887 and 1892 or after 1892.

I did know that maiden name details were given on birth certificates and meant that they weren't recorded on GRO Indexes before 1911 which would have been a great help!
Diaper

Postby sdup26 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:28 am

Sorry diaper - my suggestion about getting the mother's maiden name from the marriage cert was pointless when you're searching the GRO indexes pre-1911. Blame the heat!
sdup26

Postby ianbee » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:12 pm

Your missing one is Nellie.
Birth
Dec 1884 Portsea 2b 525
Clark, Nellie Eliza
mother's maiden surname PIKESLEY
Source is the birth index on the GRO website, which now includes maiden names of mothers pre 1911.

Death
June 1890 Portsea 2b 315
Clark, Nellie Eliza
age 5

Ian
ianbee

Return to General research queries