Moderator Control Panel ]

Visiting General Records Offiice in Edinburgh

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Visiting General Records Offiice in Edinburgh

Postby jimbo50 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:25 pm

Hiya Willie.
I'm quite new to it as well but it sounds like you're off to a good start.
You should be able to view the census returns for 1901 at the Scotlands People website that would include your 1898 family. Then search backwards on each census 1891, 1881, 1871 etc.
I assume your family search involves just Scotland which is all the GRO Edinburgh contains. Mine went from England back to Scotland.
I believe everything pertaining to registration, births deaths marriages etc is all available online to view. Old Parish registers too for pre 1837. If the 100 year rule does apply you should be OK from 1916 backwards. Although I've been able to order a copy of my Grandson's birth certificate online at the GRO. Good Luck. Jim
jimbo50

Postby doddie » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:14 pm

Hi Willie, Jim has summed things up pretty well. Almost everything is there to view at the GRO. The only restriction is that not everything is available to print. To obtain more recent certificates (ones within the last 50 years or 75 years, I can never remember which it is) you have to apply to the GRO to order these copies. During the last few years I have applied for copies of two marriage certificates from the 1980s and a death certificate from 1964, They cost £10.00 each.

Regards

Doddie
doddie

Postby whsgoldie » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:23 pm

Thanks very much for clarifying that.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
whsgoldie

Previous

Return to General research queries