Moderator Control Panel ]

Visiting General Records Offiice in Edinburgh

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Visiting General Records Offiice in Edinburgh

Postby doddie » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:19 am

Hi Paul,

Will check it out.

Regards

Doddie
doddie

Postby paulr1949 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:56 pm

Cheers

Paul
Paul
paulr1949

Postby doddie » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:50 am

Hi Paul, not great news I'm afraid. Unable to find your John & Isabella Bryan in the 1871 census. The only instance I did have was a John & Isabella Bryan living in Ayrshire. However, according to the ages given this John and Isabella were born in 1835 and 1836 respectively. Also, they are both listed as having been born in Ayrshire. John's occupation, as far as I can make out was 'Inspector of Carriages'. The only other person living with them is a lodger called Alexander Macpherson. I could find no birth for a John Bryan who had the correct parentage to make him their son. A piece of related information: Isabella's parents, William Ferguson & Margaret Elliot were married in Hawick in December of 1843.

Regards

Doddie
doddie

Postby doddie » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:17 am

Hi jimbo50, not great news either. The digitised version of the parish birth certificate was very clear to read - a very good version. Unfortunately, as you pointed out the 'tape' attached to the corner of the page has stymied any chance of reading anything along the end of the line. The staff member at the GRO assured me that looking at the original document in the flesh would offer no additional clarification. She did however point out something to conjure with and it is perhaps worth looking at your jpg if you still have it to hand. You'll have to bear with me with this theory. If you look at the alignment of the entries with regard to the right hand side of the relevant page, for the other birth entries for William & Margaret's children the christian names are in larger print and appear almost directly below the word 'named'. In other words in each case the names have not been squeezed into the space at the end of the previous line next to the word 'named'. It seems unlikely therefore that the name for the first child would have been squeezed in at the end of the line at the top, unless it was a very short christian name. Perhaps William & Margaret had not chosen a name yet.

Can I ask where you got the name Nathan or Nathaniel from? I tried to find a Nathaniel Gibson in the 1841 census - a bit far on year wise, I know - but could not find anything.

Regards

Doddie
doddie

Postby paulr1949 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:24 am

Oh well, thanks for trying anyway. That means they could have been in Ireland by that time or they're just missing. I had seen the Ayrshire family but as you say, wrong date and place of birth. It may remain one of life's mysteries.

Paul
Paul
paulr1949

Postby pollymac » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:28 am

Thank you so much for using your valuable time at the GRO to research the death records for me. I am so grateful and the information you found is really helpful.
I have sent a you a private message.
pollymac

Postby jimbo50 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:35 am

Thank you Doddie for looking. Sorry for delay, having been busy working long hours. I was fairly convinced by my first Scotlands People jpg that there was an 'Na' with part of the rest torn,eaten or worn away. I do see that the lower names are fairly well on the page but working towards the top there's only the 'Ag' of Agnes and 'Gor' of Gordon visible on mine. Sorry for not elaborating but Nathan Gibson appears on the 1841 census in Laleham Surrey. I only found the Kirkcudbright connection by following a line of a Sarah Robertson whose children had the same christian names as Nathan's family, and were living next door in Folkestone 1851. She turned out to be his daughter who had already left home in 1841. In her 1891 census she gave her birthplace as Kirkcudbright. Only person in the family who ever mentioned a place. All the rest said plain 'Scotland'. Nathaniel had two daughters in Carsphairn OPR 1820s ; Sarah and Margaret Muncaster. More children in Kingston and Chertsey Surrey. I couldn't find his marriage to Grace McKie/Key. Or either of their origins. Maybe I'll do a proper HELP post. Thank you again it was a very kind thing to do. Jim
jimbo50

Postby jimbo50 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:37 am

Sorry. Should have said Nathan Gibson appears in 1841 census in Horley Surrey.
jimbo50

Postby doddie » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:37 am

Hi Jim, by all means let me know if there is anything else I can look up for you. I am a regular(ish) visitor to the records office in Edinburgh but because I usually wait a while to save up lots of lines of inquiry there can sometimes be a longish period between visits.

Regards

Doddie
doddie

Postby whsgoldie » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:07 pm

Hi

I am very new to investigating my family tree and have only managed to get back to 1898 so far.

Excuse my ignorance but is there more information available at the GRO in Edinburgh as opposed to visiting my local registry office?

One other question, if I may, are you able to conduct checks within the last 100 years by visiting the GRO? I was of the opinion it was not possible to do any of these recent enquiries.

Thanks in advance.

Willie

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
whsgoldie

PreviousNext

Return to General research queries