Moderator Control Panel ]

Parents of James Hanright born 1789 in Ireland

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Parents of James Hanright born 1789 in Ireland

Postby palmheads » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:40 am

Hi

Am trying to find the parents of James Hanright. Birth/death details below.

James Hanright was born on December 25, 1789, in Rosenallis, Laois, Ireland.

He died on March 30, 1852, in Quebec, when he was 62 years old.

His death records indicate he was Church of England. Given some of the Irish plantations that happened in the 17th century in County Laois, it could be possible that "Hanright" could have been English in origin?

Am a bit stuck.

Does anyone have any further information that could help? Hanright is a fairly unusual family name

Cheers
Daryn Hanright

Sent from my Nexus 5 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
palmheads

Re: Parents of James Hanright born 1789 in Ireland

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:33 pm

Unfortunately doing Irish genealogy in a single post is utterly impossible - "Irish genealogy isn't as bad as they say it is - it's worse".

Couple of points - County Laois didn't exist at that date - it was Queen's County until Irish independence. Laois is an old name though, so I'd be a bit uncertain until I found out what was meant by that name.

If he was Church of England in Canada, he'd have probably been Church of Ireland in, ahem, Ireland. And the big problem there is that some 2/3 of the CofI PRs were burnt in 1922. Along with the last of the 19th century Irish censuses.

Some of the surname mapping stuff finds no Hanright but does find Enright in the SW of Ireland. So it could be a variant. Which is a pain.

Suggest you get a book on Irish genealogy out of the library, plus lots of coffee... Sorry :(
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby shanew147 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:24 pm

Historic records for Rosenallis CofI parish survive and are available to view in the Representative Church Body Library in Co. Dublin. These cover baptisms, marriages and death /burials back to 1801, so may not be of much use unless James had younger siblings..

The nearest match I can find by surname variant is on the Tithe Applotment records dated between 1823 to 1837, which show a Maurice & Winnifred Henright with eligible propeties at Comfort's Lot in Athassel civil parish (sometimes listed as Relickmurry & Athassel parish) in Co. Tipperary, not far to the west of the town of Cashel.
shanew147

Postby palmheads » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:16 am

Wow looks like it be a difficult process. I think that's why on ancestry.com all the research stops at James Hanright.

Thanks for the tips. Having name variations like Enright/Henright does make it a difficult job.

Will have to get a book on Irish genealogy.

His son, William Rice Hanright (my Great Great Grandad) was a interesting fella. Born in Prince Edward Island, Canada, ended up abandoning his family in Nova Scotia to fight for the Confederates in the US Civil war. Afterwards came to New Zealand & did some engineering, before dieing pretty much broke.

Cheers
Daryn

palmheads

Postby shanew147 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:15 am

the Irish Genealogy Toolkit website (Claire Santry) may be of interest..
shanew147

Postby palmheads » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:12 am

Thank you! Will check out that link

palmheads

Postby D-F » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:21 am

palmheads wrote:...
His son, William Rice Hanright (my Great Great Grandad) was a interesting fella. Born in Prince Edward Island, Canada, ended up abandoning his family in Nova Scotia to fight for the Confederates in the US Civil war. Afterwards came to New Zealand & did some engineering, before dieing pretty much broke.

Cheers
Daryn

When blocked look for ways around!

"Rice" is an unusual second name; Do you know where it came from? It might give a clue to a maternal maiden name or a Grandparent's surname.

David
D-F

Postby palmheads » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:52 pm

Yeah the 'Rice' bit I know. Thomas's mother was named Jane Eliza Rice (husband James Hanright).

From the research I've done this far, it looks like the Hanright name, though rare, may have been in Ireland for quite a while.

It could be a variation of the gaelic "hAnrachtaigh" which would give it lots of variations (Hanratty etc, plus as all the O' variations).

From all the generations below James/Eliza some names repeated alot. William/ Thomas/Henry for example. So have been limiting search based on these first names.

palmheads

Postby dhanright » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:07 pm

Hi Daryn

I have also been trying to track down the parents of Jane and James Hanright in Ireland with no luck. The only things that I can add are:
In the Canadian census records, James is always listed as Catholic and Jane as either Church of England, Church of Ireland or Anglican.
Other common first names for the Hanrights in Canada are Charles, Sarah, and Elijah.

Best of luck in your search. I will watch with interest.

Cheers
Donna Hanright
dhanright

Postby palmheads » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:47 pm

dhanright wrote:Hi Daryn

I have also been trying to track down the parents of Jane and James Hanright in Ireland with no luck. The only things that I can add are:
In the Canadian census records, James is always listed as Catholic and Jane as either Church of England, Church of Ireland or Anglican.
Other common first names for the Hanrights in Canada are Charles, Sarah, and Elijah.

Best of luck in your search. I will watch with interest.

Cheers
Donna Hanright

Hi Donna - nice to hear from you. I have seen your posts online over many years querying about the same thing. Really is a mystery.

Interesting about the Catholic reference, given he was buried in a Church Of England cemeterty in Quebec (maybe he switched?).

Also the compelling evidence that his wife isn't named Jane Eliza Rice, but Jane Eliza Carew (with maybe Rice being another middle name?).

It seems to be relatively well established that James Hanright came from Rosenallis (may not have been born there). Jane as well possibly.

I reckon ultimately, here might have the answer:
http://ireland.anglican.org/about/151

Sounds like we would need the Rosenallis Parish records in the Diocese of Kildare to be published at the above site (or someone physically going to the RCB Library in Dublin - http://ireland.anglican.org/about/104).

Even if it was just for Jane (if James is indeed Catholic).

I think alot of the other online sources simply don't have this information recorded, which is why its been so hard to track stuff. For example its not recorded in rootsireland.ie. Whereas the parish records would have at least some information about their lives if indeed they came from Rosenallis.

Rosenallis is really the only "known" element from James at least in terms of where he came from (but not neccessarily born)

Do you know if anyone has actually tried to find them in the parish records for Rosenallis?

cheers
Daryn
palmheads

Next

Return to General research queries