Moderator Control Panel ]

Parents of James Hanright born 1789 in Ireland

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Parents of James Hanright born 1789 in Ireland

Postby pete25 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:52 pm

No it isn't. Roman Catholics are Catholics...end of

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
pete25

Postby ksouthall » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:47 am

pete25 wrote:No it isn't. Roman Catholics are Catholics...end of

Roman Catholicism is a branch of Christianity. End of.
ksouthall

Postby palmheads » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:14 am

dhanright wrote:Daryn

Sorry for the tardy reply. I have an answer to your query about why James Hanright, a life-long Catholic, was buried in a Protestant cemetery.
The area of Quebec where James and Jane Hanright settled did not have an organized Catholic church until 1855. The first Catholic church in their immediate area was Saint Raphael of Bury organized in 1868. James died prior to the establishment of a Catholic parish in his area. I suspect the family buried James in the only cemetery available to them at the time.

Still no luck in finding Irish roots.

Donna

That's makes perfect sense then. Thanks Donna!

I never heard back from the Anglican Irish Library, so not sure that path is available.

I do keep a lookout for any Rossenallis parish info online every few months. Someone's a get a 10 Euro day access to the roots Ireland website just to have a look.

At the end of the day, 1789 is not bad for Irish ancestry.

Cheers
Daryn

Sent from my Nexus 5 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
palmheads

Postby dhanright » Tue May 21, 2019 12:41 pm

Hi Darryn

I am so sorry that I have not responded earlier but I just noticed your post.
One of the best sources of information about the Hanright family in Canada is the Canada Census database. It is digitized and easy to search online.
Clues about Jane Hanright's maiden name come from church records in the Compton County Historical Society located in a file titled "Hanright". It has not been digitized. In the file was a photocopy from church records (the church was not identified) that read:
" Jane Eliza Rice [relic] of the late James Hanright, Bury, born upon the (date lost) upon Wednesday the eighth day of March in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and eighty two and was buried upon the following Friday the tenth day of March in the same year by me, F. U. Webster, incumbent Present: James Hanright, son of the deceased Aged about 104 years."

Donna
dhanright

Postby MayHam » Tue May 21, 2019 11:20 pm

I noticed an Ancestry.com family tree that mentions James & Jane had a daughter, Susannah, born 12 August 1819. It says she married James Carew. I'm guessing they were the parents of Jane Eliza Carew (1843-1922) who married Walter Gowen Therburne in 1865. She may be the same Jane Carew listed with James & Jane in 1851 aged 8.

Also, found a Susanna Hamite baptised 31 August 1817 in Mountmellick, Laois, Ireland (adjacent to Rosenallis) to "Jas" and witnessed by Robert (Rice?) and Cath. Headen.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=346714
MayHam

Previous

Return to General research queries