Moderator Control Panel ]

Parents of James Hanright born 1789 in Ireland

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Parents of James Hanright born 1789 in Ireland

Postby palmheads » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:18 am

shanew147 wrote:Historic records for Rosenallis CofI parish survive and are available to view in the Representative Church Body Library in Co. Dublin. These cover baptisms, marriages and death /burials back to 1801, so may not be of much use unless James had younger siblings..

The nearest match I can find by surname variant is on the Tithe Applotment records dated between 1823 to 1837, which show a Maurice & Winnifred Henright with eligible propeties at Comfort's Lot in Athassel civil parish (sometimes listed as Relickmurry & Athassel parish) in Co. Tipperary, not far to the west of the town of Cashel.

You are exactly right shanew147, I think the only next step is this. Either the Anglican Record Project is able to publish online, or someone is able to goto the RCB library in Dublin to look at those parish records. From the looks of things, no online resource currently would have that info.

cheers!
Daryn
palmheads

Postby palmheads » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:52 am

I've actually just sent a request to the Church of Ireland library for a scan of the Rosenallis parish records for a marriage of a James Hanright to a Jane Eliza Carew/Rice sometime between 1810-1819 (just to limit search)

Its a paid service, so will see if they can actually see anything in the records.

Am not expecting much, as I suspect others in the past have tried seeing its the most obvious place to look.

Fingers crossed though!
palmheads

Postby palmheads » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:14 am

Summary of what we think we know:
1. James Hanright at least lived part of his life in Rosenallis. Evidence:

"James Hanright, a carpenter from Rosenallis, Queen’s County (now County Laois) arrived in York with a wife and four children in May 1820. He had exhausted all his means in coming via "Prince Edward Island, Halifax and New York", where he had arrived in April 1819. James' tale did not evoke the hoped-for sympathy from the Land Board and they rejected his petition for a gratuitous grant of land."

http://aidanmanning.ca/excerpt/

2. He married Jane Eliza Carew (possibly Rice) sometime before 1819ish. After James died, she remarried a Walter Gowen Therburne in a Church of England ceremony in Bury and Lingwick, Québec, (witnessed by her sons James and Ejiah Hanright).

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... 53&df=all&
and copy of the actual document on ancestry.com

3. James Hanright died in Quebec 1852. Buried in a protestant graveyard (Bury).

So if we can find any thing in the parish records that might hopefully give more details about James & Jane even existing in Rosenallis, that would be something new!
palmheads

Postby dhanright » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:53 am

Hi Daryn

Wish I had plans to get to Ireland soon. Perhaps in retirement.

I went back to the 1851 census records here in Canada and double checked religion. Interestingly, the 1851 census was actually completed in February 1852 in Quebec, one month before James died. In that record, James is still listing his religion as Church of Rome and his place of birth as Ireland. Jane also lists her place of birth as Ireland and her religion as Episcopal. (See Item # 613754 in digital census - name recorded as Handright)

The reference to Jane's last name as Carew is new to me. When I found the church records in Lingwick county for her burial her name is recorded as Jane Eliza Rice Hanright. I have not been able to find a headstone for Jane and do not know if she was buried next to James or not. I have been to the cemeteries in the Gould area that have Hanrights and have not found her.

Now for a little tidbit of family gossip. I learned from two distant relatives that James was a Catholic priest in Ireland, left the clergy to marry Jane and escaped to Canada when their marriage was deemed unacceptable by the community. I have NO documentation to support that claim. There is also reference to one of James' brothers following him to Canada. There is documentation about a Daniel Handwright arriving in Quebec from Ireland in 1820 but I have not followed this lead up. Something else to do in retirement.

Planning a trip to Ireland?

Donna
dhanright

Postby palmheads » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:03 pm

Hi Donna

Ha! No plans just yet to goto Ireland. Bit of a long trip for me!

Not sure if you are on ancestry.com, but here is the actual record showing the marriage to Walter Gowen Therburne and her name looking like Jane Eliza Carew (plus James (jnr) & Ejiah as witnesses)

http://search.ancestry.com.au/cgi-bin/s ... sePUB=true

So I think her fullname is actually Jane Eliza Rice Carew. Rice has to be part of it as well. This feels like a small puzzle perhaps solved.

Episcopal for Jane is good, 'cos its still part of anglican church. So that parish search have paid for might still turn up something (anything would be good).

I've also heard from a lady named Pat Themelis about the Catholic Priest rumour. That certainly adds an interesting twist. So maybe its like this: Even if he wasn't actually a priest, the whole catholic/protestant marriage thing was seemingly frowned upon. So if he had to give up his faith to marry Jane, escape Ireland, maybe that meant he couldn't be buried in a Catholic cemetery. So he just got buried where Jane would have been.

Wonder if there is some record somewhere in Ireland with Cathlolic priests leaving their positions?

Have been reading a book about Irish emigration to Atlantic Canada, and being Catholic in those days meant being treated worse than a Irish protestant might have been. The Scots and the English tended to not like the Irish that much in general. The main reason James & Jane ended up in Quebec would have been land, but maybe a part of James liked the general Catholicness of Quebec.

I assume Jane is actually buried wherever Therburne was.

So are you also one of the end results Thomas Rice Hanright's exploits in Canada? I assume you've seen his dodgy past
palmheads

Postby palmheads » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:23 am

dhanright wrote:Hi Daryn
I went back to the 1851 census records here in Canada and double checked religion. Interestingly, the 1851 census was actually completed in February 1852 in Quebec, one month before James died. In that record, James is still listing his religion as Church of Rome and his place of birth as Ireland. Jane also lists her place of birth as Ireland and her religion as Episcopal. (See Item # 613754 in digital census - name recorded as Handright)

Yip you are exactly right. Did you notice something interesting also in that census record? Looks like a Jane Carew is living with them! Born in Canada. That could back up the Carew surname for Jane Hanright? This "Jane" could be a relation of Jane Hanright.
palmheads

Postby dhanright » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:10 pm

Daryn

Sorry for the tardy reply. I have an answer to your query about why James Hanright, a life-long Catholic, was buried in a Protestant cemetery.
The area of Quebec where James and Jane Hanright settled did not have an organized Catholic church until 1855. The first Catholic church in their immediate area was Saint Raphael of Bury organized in 1868. James died prior to the establishment of a Catholic parish in his area. I suspect the family buried James in the only cemetery available to them at the time.

Still no luck in finding Irish roots.

Donna
dhanright

Postby pete25 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:25 pm

Irish research isn't impossible.
It is difficult but not impossible.
I did have some luck however when I was searching my Irish Ancestors.

Also, I would like to point out:

My ancestors were Roman Catholic before coming to the U.K. but practiced Christianity when in the U.K.

Don't give up. My 'luck' came about after putting lots of messages out there...and I posted a lot of messages on family history websites.

A lady, based in Ireland, did me some research and found my 3x great grandparents marriage and some of their children's baptisms. My 3x great grandparents were born in the 1780s and their marriage took place in 1813, St Catherine's (RC) Parish Church, Dublin.

Evelyn took up my research unbeknownst to me and I was delighted.

The moral of my post is don't give up on your Irish research.

All the best,

Pete.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
pete25

Postby pete25 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:14 pm

Another link to look at:

https://www.facebook.com/AncestralFindi ... 1407643880

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
pete25

Postby ksouthall » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:58 pm

pete25 wrote:Also, I would like to point out:

My ancestors were Roman Catholic before coming to the U.K. but practiced Christianity when in the U.K.

Hope you don't mind me pointing out the fact that Roman Catholicism is a branch of Christianity so your ancestors practised Christianity in Ireland before emigrating.
ksouthall

PreviousNext

Return to General research queries