Moderator Control Panel ]

Grandfathers National Service

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Grandfathers National Service

Postby DocRock » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:52 am

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. But I have a couple of photographs of my Grandfather (and others) on National Service, 1950 - 1952. I'm not sure where one of them was taken as my Grandfather always said he was at RAF Tangmere, but one of the photographs says RAF Bridgenorth on the back.

I'm wondering if anybody can shed light on it, and also, I would be interested to know if anybody else in the photographs are still with us. I've attached pictures of some signatures that were on the back of the photographs. In the first picture, my Grandfather is second row from the front, third from the right. In the second picture he is in the middle row, first on the left.

Thanks
Attachments
Scan10011.JPG
Scan10011.JPG (404.8 KiB) Viewed 929 times
Scan10009.JPG
Scan10009.JPG (579.48 KiB) Viewed 929 times
Scan10010.JPG
Scan10010.JPG (750.17 KiB) Viewed 929 times
DocRock

Re: Grandfathers National Service

Postby Mick Loney » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:47 am

A quick google shows that RAF Bridgnorth had no runway, and was a recruitment training centre. I suggest that this is where he did his basic training, then moved to RAF Tangmere for the rest of his National Service. Group photos were quite common during training, I have quite a few from my father, from his days with the infantry training corps during WW2.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Return to Military help