Moderator Control Panel ]

St John's College Oxford / White Family

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

St John's College Oxford / White Family

Postby eurogordi » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:09 pm

Sometime ago I posted a query on here relating to the coat of arms and crest belonging to St. John's College Oxford which was taken from the arms and crest of the college's founder, Sir Thomas White and which my own White ancestors were also using (although I haven't found a definite connection with the college founder yet). Since then my research has moved forward but has raised another query that I am hoping someone can answer or clarify.

I have discovered a memorial to a family member, Henry White, who is buried at St. Helen's Church, Bishopsgate and includes the coat of arms similar to the one of Sir Thomas that my White ancestors were known to have used. With the exception of the ermine canton and lion, which appears on the arms of St. John's College, the coat of arms on the memorial is otherwise identical, as is the ostrich crest (although the legs are significantly shorter on the memorial!).

I have read that cantons were added to existing coats arms as mark of special honour and that would seemingly be appropriate for someone who founded an Oxford college, but I can't find any proof of this. Equally, despite my efforts, I still haven't found which member of the White family was originally granted the coats of arms minus the canton and, for the time being, the fees charged by the College of Arms are prohibitive.

Any help from other forum users will be very much appreciated and, for reference, I've attached photos of both the memorial and the arms displayed in the quad at St. John's.
Attachments
White Arms.jpg
White Arms
White Arms.jpg (216.32 KiB) Viewed 862 times
eurogordi

Re: St John's College Oxford / White Family

Postby MayHam » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:18 pm

The Canadian Heraldric Authority can probably provide an authoritative answer about cantons. You can also try contacting Rafe Heydel-Mankoo who co-authored "Burke's World Orders of Knighthood & Merit" for Burke's Peerage & Gentry.
MayHam

Return to General research queries