Moderator Control Panel ]

Tracing German name Massmann

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Tracing German name Massmann

Postby Fastclaw » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:35 am

I have hit a brick wall trying to trace Wilhelm Massmann. On his son's marriage certificate dated 1912 it state he was deceased and was a Director of the Imperial Bank in Berlin. He was married to Anna Großse and had 2 boys and 2 girls, but I can only find my one birth certificate of his son born Feb 1882 in Munster Germany and it states he worked in a bank as a pension adviser

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Fastclaw

Re: Tracing German name Massmann

Postby Sylcec » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:53 pm

I don't think that you have given us enough information to be able to help you.
You refer to a marriage of Wilhelm's son in 1912, but don't give his name, or the location - was this is England? If so, then suggest you search the National Archives for naturalisation documents.
You also say that you have found a birth certificate for ?the same son in Munster in 1882 - but cannot find anything else. How did you find this? If it was in the German records I am surprised that you were not also able to find the siblings (brother & 2 sisters births).

With the sparse information provided I have not been able to identify the family on http://www.familysearch.org however, it may be that if you have thoroughly identified the correct location of events that you will need to order up microfilms for the locality to view at your local Family History Centre. You may also find a website http://compgen.de/ or [url]genealogienetz.de[/url] helpful - if you understand German - I think both these links take you to the same page. (They used to provide an English language introduction but I can't find that today).

Regarding the discrepancy between Wilhelm being a Pension Advisor at a Bank, and being a Director of the Bank - relevant factors here are passage of time which may have involved him being greatly promoted at work; but also the propensity for people to inflate the importance of their father when recording their status on a marriage record.
Sylcec

Postby Fastclaw » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:21 pm

Sorry about the lack of information, but hope this helps.

The son's name was Heinrich Fredick Ernst Massmann who married Edith Trull in Bristol in April 1913, under father's name it says William ( Wilhem ) Massmann Director of Imperial Bank Berlin deceased.
Heinrich changed his forename to Henry and died in Eastbourne.
I have been in contact with the National Archives and him and his wife's nationalization records cost me £275.00 to get digitized with over 250 pages covering from 1914 to 1952.
Heinrich's birth certificate was sent to me from Munster by a researcher, with the translation Heinrich's father is listed as Wilhelm and his mother as Anna Grose.
In a local Bristol newspaper the wedding announcement it stated Heinrich was the eldest son of the late Wilhelm Massmann of Duisburg? ... I don't know if Wilhelm was born or died there, Germany records are hard to find unless you travel there, which I have 3 times tracing another side of the German family as my wife was born in Krefield, but was left for adoption.
Fastclaw

Postby junkers » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:06 pm

I think that the Imperial Bank still exists and you could contact them and if you google the Bank there should be a mention of the names of the directors on their annual reports available in printed reports online , I came across one name in 1887, but not Massmann. I think what you seem to have from The National Archives is not Edith Trull's naturalisation record (since she was born in Bristol) but her 'surveillance' record during the Second World War.
junkers

Postby Fastclaw » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:05 pm

Hi Junkers

sorry your wrong about Edith Trull, like I said I paid to get the records and it is because she took up German citizenship when she married in 1912, they had a son in 1914 and were visiting Germany when war broke out, she and her son were allowed back into England because their son was born in Bristol and was still a UK citizen.
Fastclaw

Postby Jeanieallergy » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:30 pm

Amazingly, until 1933 a British woman lost her British nationality on marriage to a foreigner, and usually acquired her husband's nationality instead. So a British born woman would immediately become German if she married a German man, even if the marriage took place in this country. Strange but true...
Jeanieallergy

Return to General research queries