Moderator Control Panel ]

Overseas records: GRO and others

Found any online record sets or tools that have helped your family history research? Share your discoveries here

Overseas records: GRO and others

Postby MaureenE » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:48 am

The FIBIS Fibiwiki has a page General Register Office, in respect of overseas records.
http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php/General_Register_Office

I have updated this recently and hope this is now an accurate reflection of the records available, including those on various websites such as findmypast and Ancestry.

For overseas military BMDs, see the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Chaplains Returns
http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php/Chaplains_Returns

There is also a FIBIS Fibiwiki page London Metropolitan Archives, in respect of overseas records.
http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php/London_ ... n_Archives
Unfortunately, the overseas records are not available online. I would be interested to know whether anyone has found overseas records here, which they have not been able to find anywhere else.

If you have any additional information, or think that any information on the Fibiwiki pages is incorrect, or unclear, please comment.

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Re: Overseas records: GRO and others

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:34 am

I would recommend the FIBIS site to everyone - not only does it cover India but in explaining the British in India, they have several primers on subjects such as the Army, that are useful to us all.

Great work by them.

Sent from my MotoG3
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:18 pm

My thanks for this Maureen. My only comment is where you say, "The records of the GRO are part of The National Archives. Some of the records have a National Archives catalogue reference, series RG, but some of the records in respect of military overseas births, marriages and deaths do not."

The first sentence "The records of the GRO are part of The National Archives", especially when taken on its own, is surely not true. The GRO records are held at Southport and, taken as a whole, are not part of TNA. Is it not true to say that some records were originally held at the GRO but, because they were non-Statutory (a distinction I had not realised until reading your earlier comments), they were transmitted to the GRO where they were given RG series references? And the stuff without TNA references remains at the GRO in Southport?

I guess I want to make the distinction between "The records of the GRO" as in: "those currently held by the GRO" and "The records created by the GRO but now held by TNA".

So instead of
The records of the GRO are part of The National Archives. Some of the records have a National Archives catalogue reference, series RG, but some of the records in respect of military overseas births, marriages and deaths do not.

Can I suggest
Records originally held by the GRO may now be part of The National Archives. Those records classified as Non-Statutory were transmitted from the GRO to TNA, where they have a National Archives catalogue reference, series RG. Some of the records in respect of military overseas births, marriages and deaths remain with the GRO. Some events are recorded in multiple places.

That last sentence "Some events are recorded in multiple places" is extra to what you wrote and is what I remember from that FamilySearch Wiki. Feel free to ignore it if you feel I've confused matters - or, indeed, got it wrong.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby MaureenE » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:12 am

Many thanks Adrian, and apologies for the fact that I must have completely missed your post at the time you made it.

You were quite right and I have now made the amendment. Better late than never!

I was recently looking at one of the GRO Indexes where I was able to locate a British Army marriage in Russia during WW1. These indexes are available for free on the website FamilyRelatives.com

There are details of this website on the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Chaplains Returns, section "Accessing the above British Army Overseas Indexes"
https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Chaplains_Retu ... as_Indexes

Individual records from these Indexes are also available on findmypast.

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby ianbee » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:58 pm

MaureenE wrote:I was recently looking at one of the GRO Indexes where I was able to locate a British Army marriage in Russia during WW1. These indexes are available for free on the website FamilyRelatives.com

There are details of this website on the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Chaplains Returns, section "Accessing the above British Army Overseas Indexes"
Maureen

Reputed to be a very dodgy website, one to avoid. Is it actually still functioning?
ianbee

Postby MaureenE » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:53 pm

ianbee wrote:Reputed to be a very dodgy website, one to avoid. Is it actually still functioning?

I am aware that this website "disappeared"/did not operate for about six months in 2015-2016. It is generally a pay website, but the GRO Overseas Indexes are free. You do have to register to see the free indexes, but at the time I registered you did not need to give credit card details or anything of that nature, but it probably required an email address. (I have never received any marketing emails from this website)

I have never paid a subscription to this website so cannot comment on any aspects other than the free GRO Indexes, but I note it did not operate for approximately six months in 2015-2016.

The GRO Indexes are also available on findmypast (pay website to which I subscribe), where you can search for individual people, but not browse the indexes. I generally use the Indexes on FamilyRelatives, which are images only (and are not searchable) as it is easier to pick up probable siblings (when using Birth Indexes) and you don't need to worry about incorrect transcription of names.

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby ianbee » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:24 pm

Thanks, Maureen.
Ian
ianbee

Return to Useful resources