Moderator Control Panel ]

Verquier family history

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Verquier family history

Postby ChristineS » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:24 am

Hello everyone

I am on the hunt for information of my GG Grandmother Louise (Louisa) Verquier from France.

Her father's name was possibly Jean Pierre Verquier. Louisa was born in France around 1820. My GG Grandfather was Isaac Marsh. He was a lace maker/manager? from England and was working in France and had to return to England because of the French revolution. This would have been around 1844-1848. Louisa left France and traveled to England probably with Isaac and possibly to help with Isaac's 5 children. Isaac's first wife Anne (Ann) was English, married in England in 1831. Anne probably died from a fall while in France in 1844. There has been comments by other distant family that there was a newspaper article about Anne's death, but I have been unable to find any proof of how she died or trace the article.

Louisa married Isaac Marsh in 1948 in Derbyshire England, and with the five children emigrated to New Zealand in 1851.

I am trying to locate relatives/information on Louisa with the hope of learning more about her life in France. Are any of you able to help with any information?

Regards Christine
ChristineS

Re: Verquier family history

Postby brunes08 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:52 pm

The year 1848 saw revolutions in several European countries as peoples rose up against the ruling elite. If you just google 1848 revolutions you will find a lot of sites that would provide you with some background for your ancestors.
brunes08

Postby Sylcec » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:38 pm

I put the surname Verquier into Familysearch, along with the country France and there were very few hits. The name appears in Brittany in the 1870s-80s in association with the marriage of Jules Antoine Verquier in 1868. However - nothing before that. However, Familysearch also offers the alternative name of VERDIER with entries mainly from the first decades of the 19th century, and again from north-west France 'Manche'.
Sylcec

Postby ChristineS » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:10 am

Thank you both for your replies and suggestions.

I will keep hunting.

Chris
ChristineS

Postby ianw16 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:23 am

Hi Christine,
I don't know if the lady who made this post still comes on here, but she sounds like the 'go to' person on this: topic5241.html#p23713

Ian.
ianw16

Postby ChristineS » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:00 am

Thank you - Yes she is, I did make contact but unfortunately she is unwell and will be unable to help/contribute for the foreseeable. Hopefully she will return some time in the future, as she seems such a font of information.

Chris
ChristineS

Postby maggie May » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:49 am

Hi Christine , I maybe able to help you as I was a Marsh and have done quite bit of the family tree.
Isaac Marsh christened 1st Feb 1807 in Lenton Nottinghamshire . he married Ann wood born abt 1811 in Beeston Nottinghamshire .Married 8th May 1831 in Beeston .1841 census has them living at Basford with their children Thomas 9, James 6, Sarah 4 Robert 0.
some time after 1841 they went to France to live presume it was work related . They had another child Isaac Born in France 1844. in Betesh Ochger. Ann was apparently carrying Isaac and she slipped on a stairwell and fell backwards down them and broke her neck she died three days later on 18th August 1844.
Issac Marsh Married Louisa Verguiers or Verqueoma born 1822 in Buton Sabery France
She went back to England with Isaac and they married there 24th April 1848.
In 1851 they immigrated to New Zeland and sailed on the ship Lady Nugent and landed at Lyttleton South Island . now on this boat they became friendly with another family called Ansell and in 1857 Thomas Marsh Isaacs son married Mary Ann Reecks (her mothers maiden name) the daughter of the Ansells. 'Isaac and Lousia lived in Oxford in Canterbury and he became a butcher , there were three children born in NZ Plus the two that came out with them on the ship.Also Isaacs children to his first wife as well. He died 28/3/1894 and Louisa died from cancer dec 25th 1822 both buried at oxford .Canterbury NZ Isaac marsh Born in France 1844 died 9th June 1865 plot 106 at Barbadoes cemetery Christchurch NZ . Hope this helps. Have got 10 Generations of Marsh's if you need more help. the line is Michael,1, George, 2 George 3,James 4 ,Isaac 5, Thomas,6, Herbert Isaac,7, herbert thomas, 8. Gary Herbert 9,
maggie May

Postby ChristineS » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:13 am

Hi there Maggie
Thank you for your reply.
Yes I also have a large file on the Marsh family :) and am constantly gathering more.
Yes I have most of that info you have mentioned, but will recheck later to ensure ;)

A correction :
There is a transcript error regarding the birthplace of Louise Verquier (if indeed that was her name with all the different spelling choices available) and Isaac Marsh Jnr. In the 1851 census the transcribe has put down Butonsbury and Betesh Ochger as birth places when in actual fact written next to their names are the words 'British subject' and this error is growing out there on the internet etc. If you look at the actual record of the census and blow it up you will see what I mean :)
Ann Wood's death:
Do you have a record of her fall? I have searched everywhere for proof of this and have found nothing :(

Puzzle:
maggie May wrote:Have got 10 Generations of Marsh's if you need more help. the line is Michael,1, George, 2 George 3,James 4 ,Isaac 5, Thomas,6, Herbert Isaac,7, herbert thomas, 8. Gary Herbert 9,

Who are these? I don't recognise the names and ages. Isaac's siblings?

Where do you live? and what branch are you from?

C :)
ChristineS

Postby ChristineS » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:30 am

Just been trying to work out your connection.
Do you mean you are a descendent of Thomas Marsh and Mary Ann Reecks?

1: Michael Marsh & ?
2: Son: George Marsh & ? (I don't have any info on - new to me :shock: )
3: Son: George Marsh & ? (I don't have any info on - new to me :shock: )
4: Son: James Marsh & Elizabeth Swift (?)
5: Son: Isaac Marsh & Ann Wood
6: Son: Thomas Marsh & Mary Ann Reecks
7: Son: Herbert Isaac Marsh & ?
8: ??
9: ??
Have I got it right?

= live in NZ ? ;) as do I :)

I have not researched much in this line as I come down through the 2nd marriage and family and have been concentrating on that line. I have a cheat book though, one of my Aunt & Uncles did a lot of work in the 1980's and this has been handed down.

Look forward from you :)
ChristineS

Postby maggie May » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:16 am

Hi Christine ,
Interesting about what you have said about Lousie's Birthplace I will have alook and have avery good researcher friend in England whom I get to double check a lot of my findings will see how I get on with this . I am waiting also to see the accident in the newspaper about Ann as this info was only handed down to me by one of my sister inlaws years ago and I just kept it on file so hopefully I may be able to get a copy of this and give you one as well.
yes you are correct with Thomas Marsh b 1832 and Mary ann Reecks but I have gone right back with the tree . I was married to a marsh his father was Herbert Thomas Clayton Marsh b.1901 the son of Herbert Isaac Marsh b 1872 and Agnes Kate Laura Sansom. Herbert Isaac Marsh's parents are James and Elizabeth I did not have her surname so take it is swift.?so thank you if this is correct.
James parents are George Marsh ch 14/6/1752 on Worksop Nottingham married to Eliz Whitlam 1/10/1752 married 10/7/1764 in south Leverton
George b 1752 his parents are George marsh Ch. 20/11/1709 in scarrington Nottingham and Mary Barker havent found a date for her birth yet . Georges parents are Michael Marsh b 1676 at Colston Nottingham and Elizabeth Kidd b abt 1676 married 2/5/1702 . Michaels parents are William Marsh and Dorothy Ashton
this will keep you going havent put all sibblings etc on here this is just a run down for you.
I live in Hamilton and so do my two daughters who were both Marsh's I am doing the tree up for them for them both.
I have only been put onto this site recently by my cousin in the UK .so dont know too much about it . if there is a possibility that I can get your email address i can send you a copy of the whole tree . do where do you live. Strange if in the same place .I am annoyed as was in the Uk a couple of months ago close to some of these places and could of checked out some of the graves had I had info then. Never mind next visit as go quite a bit.
maggie May

Next

Return to General research queries