Moderator Control Panel ]

Born on board ship

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Born on board ship

Postby tonynaylor » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:40 pm

Alfred GORDON was born Feb 16 1900.

In the 1911 Census, April 2, 1911: Address The School House, Trusthorpe, Mablethorpe, Lincs. "Visitor" in home of unmarried Jane Ellen BRAILSFORD, Elementary School Teacher, and her unmarried sister Emma Louisa BRAILSFORD, Housekeeper. Alfred’s age is given as 12 (which is a 1 year discrepancy) and his ‘occupation’ is “School”. Born in Canada, Montreal (resident), nationality British.

On a notice of who to inform “in case of casualty” whilst serving the country during the first World War, his date of birth is 16-2-1900, born in Kingston, with “Born on Board Ship” also stated. The person to be informed in case of casualties is Miss BRAILSFORD, The School House, Stainfield, Wragby, Lancashire (presumably a mistake for Lincolnshire).

On July 28 1923 he married Hilda Mary ROWE, and on the marriage certificate, his age is 24 (which is a 1 year discrepancy) and his father is stated as Alfred GORDON, Tailor, (deceased).

I have searched the information available on FindMyPast World records and can find no reference to an Alfred GORDON to fit this information.

It is believed that the father died soon after the birth of his son and the mother returned to the UK with the child in order to earn money to support herself and the child.

Without a birth certificate I cannot find his mother's name or confirm details of his father. Can anybody advise what else I can do to overcome this brick wall.
tonynaylor

Re: Born on board ship

Postby Sylcec » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:30 am

How confusing!
You have 3 possibly different places of birth: Montreal, Quebec; "at sea" and Kingston. Kingston where? Is that Kingston Jamaica or one of the many other places of the same name around the world?

On looking at incoming passenger lists to Britain (on Ancestry.co.uk) between 1900-1911 there are several items of interest, though maybe nothing clearly identifiable as your Alfred Gordon. In no particular order:
Name: Alfred Gordon
Birth Date: abt 1899
Port of Departure: Dakar, Africa
Arrival Date: 26 Jun 1918
Port of Arrival: Liverpool, England
Ship Name: Salaga
What is interesting about the above record is that under 'country of last permanent residence' is written Kingston (Jam) then England.

Name: Master A T Gordon
Birth Date: abt 1900
Port of Departure: Cape Town, South Africa
Arrival Date: 2 Dec 1902
Port of Arrival: Southampton, England
Ship Name: Kinfauns Castle
There are 2 other children aged 3 & 4, Mrs Gordon aged 27 and Staff Sergt Gordon - but his name is crossed through. Could he have died?
Maybe your Alfred's father was in the Army and his regiment was posted to various overseas locations. This would not mitigate against him also having had a trade as a tailor.

A lad comes from Quebec with his mother in 1909, but the initial doesn't look like an A.
Name: Master V Gordon
Birth Date: abt 1901
Port of Departure: Quebec, Canada
Arrival Date: 10 Jun 1910
Port of Arrival: Liverpool, England
Ports of Voyage: Quebec
Ship Name: Empress of Britain
His mother is Mrs C W, age 52.
Sylcec

Postby tonynaylor » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:09 pm

Thank you Sylcec for your input to this mystery, all of which is worth considering.

When I first posted my query I didn’t want to put every bit of information I had discovered for fear of frightening any reader. However I would like to add a bit more.

1. Alfred GORDON junior was in the UK between 1916 and 1919 when he did some training relating to flying. So the Alfred GORDON you discovered arriving in Liverpool from Dakar can not be “my” Alfred.

On Ancestry I had found one possibility for Alfred returning to the UK with his mother, as follows.
Amongst the passengers on S. S. Carpathia, New York to Liverpool via Queenstown, arriving in Liverpool in September 1904 were
Mrs F. Gordon, wife, age = “Ad” (adult I presume), nationality = English
Fd. Gordon, child, 4, nationality English.

A long shot, but a forename of Alfred could be shortened to Fred. Unfortunately one doesn’t know where they went after arriving in Liverpool. What a pity that they didn’t record Mrs GORDON’s actual forename. The initial F may refer to her husband’s forename, or may be short for Frances, or Fanny, etc.

2. (This is a follow up on the 1911 Census where Alfred is with two BRAILSFORD sisters). School Admission papers show that Alfred was admitted to Trusthorpe School as R L GORDON on 23-9-07, Mrs GORDON is named under “Parents”, and Trusthorpe as the address. The “Last School” is stated as Hastings. The Cause for him leaving on 2-1-08 is “Left the village”.
On 27-1-08 he is re-admitted as Alfred GORDON and Miss BRAILSFORD is named under “Parents”, and when leaving on 5-6-08 it states “Left the village”.
3½ weeks later, on 29-6-08, he is re-admitted as Alfred R GORDON, Miss BRAILSFORD is again named under “Parents”, and when leaving another 3½ weeks later on 22-7-08 it states “Left the village”.
4 weeks later, on 18-9-08, he is re-admitted as Alfred GORDON, Miss BRAILSFORD is again named under “Parents”, and when leaving on 2-4-09 it states “Left the village”.

This sequence seems to indicate that his mother is not living nearby and appears to have handed him over to the BRAILSFORD sisters to be looked after! . . . and even more confusion over your Alfred's forename(s).

3. Regarding censuses, I have searched the 1901 Census for Canada, and could find no “Alfred born 1900”.

I have also searched the 1900 Census for the US, and found 14 “GORDON” families, two of which had an Alfred GORDON, born February 1900. However both of these Alfreds were born in the USA, one in Branchville, Sth. Carolina, the other in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
tonynaylor

Postby tonynaylor » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:23 pm

Further to my original query, item 2 stated that
"School Admission papers show that Alfred was admitted to Trusthorpe School as R L GORDON on 23-9-07, Mrs GORDON is named under “Parents”, and Trusthorpe as the address."

The National Admission Register for Trusthorpe School has a double column headed CHRISTIAN NAMES, this being split into 2 columns sub-headed CHILD'S & PARENT'S. I may be possible that the "R L" were the initials of Mrs Gordon, because there was no more room in the PARENT'S column to write anything other than "Mrs Gordon", whereas in the CHILD'S column there is more than enough room to write "Alfred".

I have found in the 1911 England & Wales Census, a Rebecca Louisa Gordon, aged 36, servant, born in Lambeth. However, unfortunately the columns relating to PARTICULARS as to MARRIAGE were left blank! So there's still no certainty about anything.

Hence if anybody has any information regarding a Mrs R. L. Gordon having a son Alfred I would be very please to hear their contibution to this query.
tonynaylor

Postby woodchal » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:09 pm

There is a well researched tree on ancestry by LWindley24. This may well be you - if not take a look.

There is a Kingston on Lake Ontario - half way between Montreal and Toronto
woodchal

Postby tonynaylor » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:44 pm

Dear Woodchal

I have only just logged onto the Forum and discovered your reply of Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:09 pm, so my apologies for the long delay in this response. The tree by LWindley24 is by a distant relative and has much of the data already submitted to the family be me. Nevertheless, there is always hope that one day the family will be able to break down this brick wall.

Thank you for your input.

Tony Naylor
tonynaylor

Postby ianbee » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:04 am

One thing that you didn't mention was that Jane named Alfred Gordon as her executor.
1947 Probate Calendar
Jane Ellen Brailsford
of 181 Lea Road Gainsborough Lincolnshire
Spinster, died 22 December 1946
Probate to Alfred Gordon schoolmaster.

Have you got a copy?
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:53 am

Let's have a look at Alfred in 1939.
Northall Cottage, Louth R.D., Lincolnshire
Alfred Gordon, born 16 Feb 00, Married, Elementary School Teacher
Hilda M Gordon, 15 Sep 02, Married, Unpaid domestic duties
2 closed records
Brian R Gordon, 21 May 36, at School
closed record
+ a possible house servant

(Was Brian R registered as Colin R?)
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:21 am

ianbee wrote:Probate to Alfred Gordon schoolmaster.

This may be interesting.
On findmypast we can search the probate calendars (up to 1959) and put in keywords. So, looking for "Alfred Gordon schoolmaster" brings up, in 1952
Helen Gordon
of 5 Whiting Square Boston Lincolnshire
widow died 28 December 1951 at The Gables Hundleby
Probate to Alfred Gordon schoolmaster.

Death reg
Dec 1951 Spilsby 3b 391
Gordon, Helen
age 82

We can see her at 5 Whiting Square in 1939, with a slight difference in age.
Helen Gordon, born 4/7 65, Widowed, Unpaid domestic duties

But is it the same Alfred who is named as her executor?
Attachments
Probate Calendar 1952.JPG
Probate Calendar 1952.JPG (23.74 KiB) Viewed 1127 times
ianbee

Postby avaline » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:18 pm

This may be a complete red herring, but possibly worth looking into in light of the Helen Gordon probate and her differing ages:

1901 Gunby, Lincolnshire - RG13/3052/103/7
Ellen Gasdon [Gordon?] 38 Servant Married born Peterboro Northamptonshire
Alfred 2 son British subject born Canada

In 1911 she appears to be working in Skegness aged as Ellen Gordon aged 42.
avaline

Next

Return to General research queries