Moderator Control Panel ]

Born on board ship

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Born on board ship

Postby tonynaylor » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:12 pm

Dear ianbee

I am extremely pleased with your input to my query, especially because they were all submitted on one day, Sept 3rd.

I'll take them in turn:

1. Yes, I knew about the Probate of Jane Ellen Brailsford and have a copy of the will.

2. Alfred in 1939. The family at the time of the 1939 Register is known, but thank you.

3. I hadn't thought of putting in keywords to search the probate calendars (up to 1959) but I think your contribution here is a major breakdown of the brick wall, at least about the forename of Alfred's mother, which has resulted in finding the registration of her death. The executor is indeed the Alfred born in 1900.

4. Your possible red herring - who knows at this stage, but it looks extremely possible.

So thank you again. It will open up new avenues.

Tony
tonynaylor

Postby ianbee » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:48 pm

Hi
That's good news about the probate. I'm sure we will all be delighted for you if it helps to break down your brick wall.
You are giving me a bit too much credit though, as it was avaline who found that possible Ellen and Alfred in 1901. Having looked at it subsequently, it does look promising!
Good luck
Ian
ianbee

Postby tonynaylor » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:54 pm

Dear ianbee

I am extremely pleased with your input to my query, especially because they were all submitted on one day, Sept 3rd.

I'll take them in turn:

1. Yes, I knew about the Probate of Jane Ellen Brailsford and have a copy of the will.

2. Alfred in 1939. The family at the time of the 1939 Register is known, but thank you.

3. I hadn't thought of putting in keywords to search the probate calendars (up to 1959) but I think your
contribution here is a major breakdown of the brick wall, at least about the forename of Alfred's mother, which
has resulted in finding the registration of her death. The executor is indeed the Alfred born in 1900.

4. Your possible red herring - who knows at this stage, but it looks extremely possible.

So thank you again. It will open up new avenues.

Tony
tonynaylor

Postby tonynaylor » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:36 pm

Dear aveline

My apologies for not noticing that it was not "ianbee" who had submitted the details of Ellen in the 1901 and 1911 censuses, so I must acknowledge that it is you who may well have broken down my brick wall.

Alfred's descendants did not know when Alfred (b 1900) had returned to the UK, only that he was entering Trusthorpe School in 1907. So it has come as a great surprise to find him in Gunby, Lincolnshire 1901.

So thank you very much.

Tony
tonynaylor

Postby ianbee » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:08 pm

Well done again to avaline for finding the 1901 and 1911 census.
ianbee

Postby avaline » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:26 pm

I'm glad it seems to have been of some help, although I've had no luck finding out anything else about her!
avaline

Previous

Return to General research queries