Moderator Control Panel ]

Aspin/Aspinall family (Blackburn)

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Aspin/Aspinall family (Blackburn)

Postby MoVidger » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:18 pm

I've been helping a friend with her family tree. We are stuck trying to find this family in the 1861 census in Blackburn:

William Aspin, born c1826 in Blackburn (occupation: spinner)
Margaret Aspin (nee Corrigan), born c1826 in Belfast
Mary Ann Aspin, born c 1850 in Blackburn
Catherine Aspin, born c1853 in Blackburn
William Aspin, born c1857 in Blackburn

We *think* we have the parents and daughter Mary Ann in the 1851 census, but the surname is listed as "Aspden". They are living at 27 Islington Street, Blackburn (census record 2259/641/57).

In the 1871 census, we have "Margaret Aspinall" (widow) and additional children living at 79 Woolwich Street, Blackburn (census record 4177/9/8). Daughter Mary Ann is on the next page with her husband John Howarth and two young children (also 79 Woolwich Street).

What makes this family so challenging is the lack of a marriage record for William and Margaret, unless they were married in a Catholic church ??

We have found only one baptism record for one of the later children: Francis Aspin, born 30 Aug 1862 and baptised the following day at St Mary RC, Blackburn. That record is on the Lancashire Parish Records website. The youngest son Peter (b1866) indicates he is Roman Catholic on various documents.

We have found Margaret and several Aspin children in later census records, so it's the 1861 census record, for the family above, we need to locate. As "Aspin" is a very common name in Blackburn, we are unsure when husband William Aspin died prior to 1871. We don't know anything about him either, other than his occupation.

With regards the 1861 census, we are wondering if the family aren't living together or perhaps in the Workhouse. We have tried searching for each family member individually, but no luck.

Any suggestions or assistance with finding this family in 1861 will be greatly appreciated.
MoVidger

Re: Aspin/Aspinall family (Blackburn)

Postby KayFarndon » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:56 pm

I am not sure where you have looked for a marriage certificate, but I have had a quick look on FreeBMD and there are loads of William Aspins listed. In the December Quarter of 1841 in the same volume is a Margaret Parkinson, but I cannot be certain it would be the correct Margaret. All the marriages were Blackburn, so it would be worth sending for the marriage certificate.

If you give as much detail as you can, and make sure you say that the bride should be named Margaret, the registrar will make certain you do not get the wrong one.

Have a look at FreeBMD, just click marriages and put William's name in. I hope you have some luck with this.
KayFarndon

Postby brunes08 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:29 pm

You say that Margaret's maiden surname was Corrigan. I presume you had this information from one of the children's birth certificates. I found a Corrigan family, all born in Belfast, living in Blackburn in the 1841 census - parents and several children, including a daughter Margaret. Her age is in the15-19 age bracket because of the rounding down of ages on that census. If this is your Margaret, it indicates the right age. This also would indicate a marriage after that census, so from April 1841 onwards. I have looked for a marriage but so far no luck. As you indicate, it may have been a Catholic marriage but that shouldn't have prevented it being entered on the official Register.
brunes08

Postby MoVidger » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:07 pm

Yes, that is Margaret Corrigan with her Irish family in the 1841 census. Her father Patrick was a shoe maker. But I still can't locate a marriage record for her and William Aspen.

I discovered Margaret's maiden name via son Francis Aspin's 1862 baptism record on the Lancashire Online Parish website. It was also confirmed on son Peter's 1866 birth record listing on the Lancashire BMD Indexes website.

But I was unable to locate the other Aspin children with mother's maiden name Corrigan, etc. I did see an 1853 listing for a Catherine Aspin, but the mother's maiden name was also Aspin. So frustrating.

But it's not the children's birth certs I'm after. I need the 1861 census record for the family, until I'm able to find an Aspin & Corrigan marriage record, if it exists.
MoVidger

Postby ciderdrinker » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:33 am

Hi
This is really irritating,it should be there and it isn't.
I did see this Blackburn St mary the Virgin 26 May 1846
William Aspden full bach Pricer/Piecer ? Blackburn father John Aspden weaver
Margaret Curne spinster Blackburn father Patrick Curne/Curie weaver

both made mark and witnesses Thomas Corigan and John Pilkington

Could her surname be a mistake on behalf of the vicar ? Everything else would fit that family Brunes found in Blackburn.
Banns give Carrie as her surname so he does seem unsure.
Margaret is certainly not with the Corrigan family of Patrick and Ann in 1851 so she must have gone somewhere and married someone.Unless of course she's the Margaret Corrigan who died June 1847 Blackburn.On some censuses the family is Currigan so the Curri bit is not so far off.

Just a thought
ps Thomas Corrigan married Bridget Dwyre June 1851 Blackburn
And William's parents may well be a John and Ellen Aspden weaver at Islington Blackburn both born 1798.
1841 John and Helen 40,James 20,Hannah 20,Mary and William15,John 10,Jane 8 and Peggy 7.

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Postby MoVidger » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:28 pm

ciderdrinker - thank you for the fine detective work with the 1846 marriage record. It looks very intriguing. Interesting to note that Margaret's maiden name is "Currie" on the Ancestry record, yet the witness is Thomas Corigan (sic). Perhaps Margaret pronounced the name "Currigan" and the registrar misheard it ??

I've now located the LOP record in which Margaret's maiden name is "Carne". It's interesting that father Patrick is described as a "weaver" -- when he's a shoe maker in the 1841 thru 1861 censuses.

Question: with the 1841 census record for William Aspden (age 15), how did you ascertain it was at Islington, Blackburn? I've looked at the record and there is no mention of Islington Street on page one of that census record, unless I've missed it. (Obviously William and Margaret were living at 27 Islington Street with their daughter in 1851).

With regards a possible death for William (1868 to 1871), I have found two mentions on FreeBMD:
1870 William Aspin (age 44) -and- 1871 William Aspden (age 47). On his eldest daughter's July 1868 marriage record, William is named as a "spinner" and isn't deceased at that point.

So we're still trying to locate the William Aspden/Aspin family in the 1861 census...
MoVidger

Postby Hatty » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:06 pm

Found William and family in the 1861 census at 20 Ainsworth Street, Blackburn RG9/3097 F118 Page 25. They are indexed on Ancestry as Osping although they are entered as Asping. William is a spinner and he is with wife Margaret and children Mary Ann, William, Margaret and Catherine.
I found them by searching for a William born 1857 in Blackburn son of William and Margaret, leaving out the surname altogether. I've learnt to do this as the indexing on Ancestry is appalling both for census and parish registers.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Hatty
Hatty

Postby MoVidger » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:14 pm

Hatty - you're a star! Thank you so much. I must have seen that record when I followed similar search protocols on Ancestry, and quickly dismissed it because Osping is so different to Aspin. Looking at the actual record, it doesn't look so much like a transcription error (although I have seen quite a few of those on Ancestry lately). Catherine's DoB is actually 1855, but everything else looks spot on. Interesting to note that barely teenage Mary Ann is listed as a "nurse" ??

Interestingly enough, Catherine Aspden uses the surname Aspinall on her 1875 marriage record to a Henry Massey. Mary Ann uses Aspinall on her son's birth certificate, too. So does their mother Margaret in the 1871 census. Fortunately, the two witnesses at Catherine's marriage ceremony are John and Mary Ann Haworth (her sister and brother-in-law). So I was able to track Catherine from Blackburn to her death in Burnley in 1922.

I can see the Aspden/Aspin name usage, but why the heck are they using Aspinall as well? That's why this family is so difficult to trace. The only two children I haven't accounted for yet are William (b1857) and Margaret (b1860). I lose track of Margaret after 1871 and William after 1881. Everyone else I have accounted for.

Ciderdrinker - with regards that 1841 census for William Aspden, how did you determine it was Islington, Blackburn ??

Thanks again to everyone for your help with this. It's much appreciated.
MoVidger

Postby ciderdrinker » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:55 am

Hi
I've a confession to make I was in a bit of a rush and assumed that Islington was an area.I had the 1841 and 1851 censuses in front of me on two windows and just typed in the wrong one.So Islington is for 1851 not 1841.
The 1841 census at the beginning says the enumeration district consists of Darwen Street,George Street,Pilkington Street,Eccles Street and Jubill Street
The kindly enumerator doesn't give us any street names but as it's page 3 I'd think it's more than likely Darwen street.

Had a look for burials ,not sure if you's want to see this .I didn't find those two 1870/1871 but did find
William Aspin s of John Workhouse 6.6.1866 age 41 years at St Mary the Virgin.
It definitely says 41 years.

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Postby MoVidger » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:35 am

Ciderdrinker - many thanks for the tip regarding the 1866 death in the Workhouse. It could well be William Aspin. My date of death searches on LOP always began with 1868, mainly because his youngest child Peter was born in 1866; also he isn't listed as 'deceased' on his daughter Mary Ann's marriage record in1868. So I assumed he died between 1868-1871. But this could be wrong.

It wouldn't surprise me if William died in the Workhouse. It appears that John Howarth "inherited" his mother-in-law and her three sons by 1871. One of those sons died in 1880, but Margaret and the two other boys were still living with John in the 1881 census. So I can only assume that daughter Margaret (b1860) married before 1881 or perhaps died.

I'll continue to peruse the 1841 census records for William Aspden (with a father named John).

Thanks again for the tips and assistance.
MoVidger

Next

Return to General research queries