Moderator Control Panel ]

Thomas Henry Marshall of Great Yarmouth.

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Thomas Henry Marshall of Great Yarmouth.

Postby midshipman » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:44 am

Found Thomas William Bone marrying Sarah Elizabeth Poundall in 1910 Mexborough and 1911 census entry but transcribed as Cone not Bone.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
midshipman

Postby ianbee » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:42 pm

That's excellent news. Although I am now struggling with Thomas and Sarah after 1911!
There is a baptism of Sarah Elizabeth Poundall at Mexborough which gives a date of birth of 4 February 1892. Although a later school record says 15 March? I would imagine the baptism record may be more accurate, she was registered March qtr 92, but neither date is helping find her later.

Interesting looking at the details Thomas gave for his father on that marriage - Thomas William Bone (deceased), Oil Merchant! Certainly seems no sign that he might ever use the Marshall name, or even be aware of it.
Re the newspapers on BNA. At the moment their coverage of the more major Norfolk newspapers does not go past 1870. Then we are left with the Diss Express and the Thetford & Watton Times!
I would keep an eye out, see if they upload more county wide papers after 1870. I should think that there would be coverage of the bigamy case, and maybe the vitriol attack, in those papers.
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:35 am

The British Newspaper Archive has added some more Norfolk newspapers.
To be precise, the Norwich Mercury for the years 1727, 1846 - 1848, 1854, 1856 - 1884, 1896, 1899 - 1904
Unfortunately you will have to wait a little longer for any possible reports of the bigamy case.
But the vitriol throwing episode is there!
29 March 1873
Throwing Vitrol. —Emma Marshall was charged with throwing vitrol upon her husband, Thomas Marshall.....
and
6 August 1873
THROWING VITRIOL AT GREAT YARMOUTH. Emma Marshall (22), was indicted for that she did maliciously cast upon Thomas Marshall a certain corrosive fluid called vitriol.....

Also available on findmypast
ianbee

Postby midshipman » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:33 am

Many thanks Ian
Off to the local library. Hopefully can access the full articles.

midshipman

Postby midshipman » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:36 pm

Back from local library and able to access the newspaper accounts.
Emma and Thomas married for a very short time before separating.
Her plea of " I am not guilty, I am as innocent as a babe", cut no ice and when sentenced to 18 months was further warned a repeat offence would result in penal servitude for her life.
What a woman.

midshipman

Postby midshipman » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:44 am

Beginning to wonder if sailor Thomas Henry Marshall was a serial bigamist with a wife in every port.
There is a Thomas Henry Marshall marrying Mary Jane Dandy 29th September 1874 in Toxteth, Liverpool, which resulted in a child Thomas Henry Marshall a couple of months later, 28th November 1874. Marriage record says Thomas' father also named Thomas Marshall. The 1881 census shows Mary Jane residing with her sister and Thomas' in Great Yarmouth showing him as single, which he most certainly wasn't.
Sadly Thomas Henry Marshall isn't a unique name and I could be wrong but is there any way of proving my theory? Any guidance or comments welcome.

midshipman

Previous

Return to General research queries