Moderator Control Panel ]

Parents of Joseph Armitage b 1811 "at sea" or Ireland?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Parents of Joseph Armitage b 1811 "at sea" or Ireland?

Postby drsinclair » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:27 am

My 2x great grandfather Joseph Armitage, according to Ohio Death Records, was "born at sea" in 1811... He apparently emigrated to the US ca. 1811-1815.
Census records in the US recorded only the heads of family with head counts for other household members until the 1850 census which records he and his wife, Charlotte, and their first four children, residing in Berlin, Erie, Ohio, USA. The two oldest children were baptized in Washington County, New York, USA in 1843. I have not found any other provable evidence of when or where Joseph was born or who his parents might be or where the family settled upon arrival in the US.
Starting in 1850, the census records indicate his birthplace as "Ireland". I have not found a record of his marriage to Charlotte - maiden name has been noted anecdotally as Seeker/Decker on non-govt. records; nor any reference to his parents' names.
One passenger arrivals at Port of Philadelphia, 1800-1819 manifest lists a Joseph Armitage, age 5, along with a Hannah Armitage, age 4 and a Mary Armitage, age 27... no adult male is listed... arrival date is 18 Jun 1818 on the ship Haleyon from Liverpool, England. I have no proof this is the correct Joseph. I have traced a Hannah Armitage in Pennsylvania, however there is no indication of a Joseph Armitage as a relative to this Hannah.
Does anyone have an ancestor with the surname Armitage who emigrated to the US ca. 1815-1820 with an infant/young boy named Joseph?
Any light that is shed on this brick wall would be greatly appreciated!
Renée
drsinclair

Re: Parents of Joseph Armitage b 1811 "at sea" or Ireland?

Postby MayHam » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:31 am

"The two oldest children were baptized in Washington County, New York, USA in 1843."
Noticed Joseph Armitage b 1811 said in the 1860 census he was born in New York.

Noticed two Joseph Armitages living in Jackson, Washington, New York in the 1840 census. I don't think they are father and son but there are a number of Armitages (or Hermitages) living in the area including a Thomas (1782-1826) and wife, Jennet, (1778-1818) in Cambridge and Hebron between 1800-1820. In the 1820 census, it appears their eldest daughter, Mary (1800-1825), is in charge of her siblings including one boy under the age of 10 (Joseph?).

It's a long shot but perhaps Joseph didn't know much about his parentage? Thomas appears to be the son of John & Eley (or Ely) Armitage. She may have been Ashton because one source reports John immigrated in 1770 with the Ashtons who were his relations. John was a witness to the will of a James Ashton of Cambridge in 1811. Perhaps they came from Ireland?
MayHam

Re: Parents of Joseph Armitage b 1811 "at sea" or Ireland?

Postby drsinclair » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:51 am

Thank you for the response... thanks to only the men's names being listed on census records prior to 1850 I have been unsuccessful in verifying exactly which Joseph is my ancestor...

Joseph m. Charlotte Seeker(also spelled Decker) in NY before 1842... they were in Berlin Heights, OH as of the 1850 census along with their children. His death record stated "born at sea" of Irish parents... All but one of the census records gave "Ireland" as birth place.

I have been unable to verify when he arrived in the US... and I cannot find any records for Charlotte prior to the baptism records for their children.

Again, thank you for the feedback -- I will explore these avenues and see where they lead.
drsinclair

Return to General research queries