Moderator Control Panel ]

WW1 uniform identification

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Re: WW1 uniform identification

Postby Xavifcb » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:44 pm

Thanks for the help, I wish I had more information. Dad seems to think Grandpa was injured in the Rhineland occupation and all he ever really mentioned was a bridge and being injured. Dad said he never spoke about the war and his uniform was kept in a drawer and never taken out. Unfortunately no one seems to know what happened to it. He had 3 medals....no idea what happened to them but I have the ubique quo fans bt glorie ducunt it is just plain in colour. No fastening on it. Dad said he was with horses. No idea why he joined up as he was a farmer.His brother stayed and worked on the farm.
Xavifcb

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:14 pm

Xavifcb wrote:... He had 3 medals....no idea what happened to them but I have the ubique quo fans bt glorie ducunt it is just plain in colour. ...

The 3 medals will almost certainly be the 1914/15 Star (issued to anyone abroad before the end of 1915), the Victory Medal and the British War Medal.

Err - what's the "ubique quo fans bt glorie ducunt"? Is it a metal badge, with the motto written above and below a gun? Because unless there's another Ubique that I don't know about (possible), that's the badge of the Royal Artillery....
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:22 pm

Apparently - having belatedly checked - "Ubique" is, appropriately, ubiquitous in British Army mottoes. The full text quoted is not common, however. But the question stands - what is this thing that you're referring to?
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Xavifcb » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:31 pm

Hi yes this is it
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.64 MiB) Viewed 1820 times
Xavifcb

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:11 pm

That is indeed a Royal Artillery badge.

Possibilities are:
- it's not your Grandpa's badge but someone else's;
- it is your Grandpa's badge, in which case why does the photo show him with what looks very much like a Royal Scots Greys collar dog?

One possibility is that he started out in the RA but moved into the Royal Scots Greys after the end of the war (because there's no visible RSG Medal Index Card under the right name). The trouble is that there are loads of Thomas Websters who were in the RA. Which means you need some other way of establishing his unit and number. My usual suggestion is - where did he (nominally) live at this time, because if you can find an Absent Voters List for him (an electoral register but confined to those with "postal" votes), then it should give his service details. Unfortunately not all survive and sometimes soldiers weren't registered.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby peter kent » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:43 am

The lanyard in the first photograph is indicative of the artillery.
peter kent

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:47 am

peter kent wrote:The lanyard in the first photograph is indicative of the artillery.

Peter, that's what I thought. It would certainly help here because an artillery lanyard would match up to the Ubique artillery badge, and would explain why he's not in the Royal Scots Greys Medal Index Cards (because he's in the artillery cards - somewhere - probably - we hope).

However, the left-shouldered lanyard as a diagnostic of the artillery is, according to stuff I've just been looking at, nothing like as diagnostic as "common knowledge" suggests.

Great War Forum thread http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=158581 is the best I can find on lanyards - Joe Sweeney's comments include "After 1914 wear of white lanyard was common but by no means universal among all Corps. Also commonly seen were khaki lanyards." (My emphasis). And left sided positioning seems common.

Post-war the situation changes but one might guess that it took some time to get everywhere.

So while the first photo in the thread shows a left-shouldered lanyard (originally suggesting artillery to me), the collar dogs are clearly not RA and the first (excellently) enlarged photo shows something very much like the eagle of the RSG. In view of that Great War Forum thread, this doesn't seem to pose a problem - not immediately post-war at least.

Nonetheless, the lack of an RSG entry in the Medal Index Cards and the Ubique badge do, pedantry about lanyards on my part notwithstanding, point to someone who was in the Artillery during WW1 but - according to the photo - moved across to the cavalry after.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Jethro Tull » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:43 am

I have found this pic online which shows the same lanyard and badges as the 2nd Dragoons. Not that it's much more help! But it may just be part of the uniform for them.
I do agree now with the id of the badge, I was too hasty in my initial attempt, it did look like the shape to me I first suggested!
Dan.

Sent from my SM-G900F using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Attachments
1465731830183.jpg
1465731830183.jpg (95.81 KiB) Viewed 1785 times
Jethro Tull

Postby Xavifcb » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:17 pm

I have looked at the 1918 electoral list and all it says against his name is absent, NM...as in naval or military. I was hoping his military details would be there.
Really appreciate all the information .
Xavifcb

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:35 pm

Have you looked for an Absent Voters' List for that constituency? It's separate from the usual Register and is the one with the military stuff - but they don't all survive.

Sent from my MotoG3
Adrian
AdrianB38

PreviousNext

Return to Military help