Moderator Control Panel ]

help identifying military regiment/division

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

help identifying military regiment/division

Postby danaew93 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:13 pm

I wonder if you can help me identify where these photos were perhaps taken, or what division/regiment etc. my great grandfather was in during WWII. I unfortunately have no idea about him and don't even know where he served in the war as i have never even met his son my grandfather due to divorce. Any help would be amazing as i have hit a brick wall with his family and am hoping more information may progress my search. His name is Herbert Ronald Lewis, born in 1914 and he died in 1985. I really have no other clues about him so much appreciated if anyone could help me.
Attachments
Bert Lewis with Bananas in Army.jpg
Bert Lewis with Bananas in Army.jpg (76.85 KiB) Viewed 2843 times
Bert in Middle of Third Row - Copy.jpg
Bert in Middle of Third Row - Copy.jpg (190.23 KiB) Viewed 2843 times
Bert in the Army.jpg
Bert in the Army.jpg (66.82 KiB) Viewed 2843 times
danaew93

Re: help identifying military regiment/division

Postby peter kent » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:08 am

It's best to work from the documents.

His service record will not have been released yet by the Ministry of Defence but you can order a copy. You'll probably need to send a copy of his death certificate.

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records
peter kent

Postby meekhcs » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:50 am

You can apply for his record which will cost approx £30 (this was the cost when I applied for my grandfathers records a couple of years ago) BUT unless you are next of kin all personal info will be with held and you will only receive service details.
meekhcs

Postby peter kent » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:19 pm

Data is only withheld if the man died less than 25 years ago. Herbert Ronald Lewis died in 1985.
peter kent

Postby meekhcs » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:46 pm

Peter

I am sorry to disagree, but unless the situation has changed recently, then I think personal data would be witheld unless the next of kin applied or gave their permission for the data to be released to the applicant.

My grandfather passed away in 1980. Because I was not the official next of kin I received no pesonal data, even though he had passed away more than 25 years prior to my application. The only way I could receive everything was if my Aunt, his official next of kin, gave me written persmission. As I knew the personal details I did not pursue the matter.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby scottie » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:04 pm

So long as the person died more than 25 years ago you will get a copy of all records they have on them. It is best to send a copy of the death certificate to prove the death date but does not need to be a certified copy - a photocopy is sufficient. The cost is £30.

Sent from my SM-T310 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
scottie

Postby Joystranraer » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:52 pm

I need identification of country of uniform and rank please?
Attachments
image.jpeg
Identity
image.jpeg (30.09 KiB) Viewed 2741 times
Joystranraer

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:51 pm

meekhcs wrote:... but unless the situation has changed recently, then I think personal data would be witheld unless the next of kin applied or gave their permission for the data to be released to the applicant. ...

The details are on https://www.gov.uk/guidance/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records.

It says: "Under the scheme, and in recognition of the duty of care owed to the family of the deceased subject, for a period of 25 years following the date of death of the subject and without the consent of the next of kin, MOD will disclose only ..." (list follows in the link).

Then it says "After this period, and if it is held, in addition MOD will disclose without the requirement for next of kin consent:" (list follows in the link).

Alternatively, if you have next of kin permission, "Where the consent of the immediate next of kin has been given for its release to a third party, the 25 year threshold will not apply allowing the release of all the information available under the publication scheme at any time" (my emphasis).

Now, I will swear that all this has changed since I first looked, so it may well have changed, Sally. But, being of either a cynical or pedantic frame of mind, I have just realised that the bit after 25 years has elapsed does not specify that what is released is "everything else". So - you may be right.... Has anyone got any recent non-next-of-kin reports to help us work out what's provided?
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby MaureenE » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:21 am

I have seen comments in the past on WW2Talk Forum that you need to specify that you want FULL records, otherwise you may/will only be sent minimal records.

Also, from WW2Talk Forum, as proof of death, you can send things such as a photograph of a headstone etc.-it doesn't need to be an actual death certificate.

Joystranraer, perhaps you should start a separate thread for your photograph, and provide what details you know about it.

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby danaew93 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:23 am

Thanks very much. I will have a look at the link. I am not next of kin so I don't know if I can get the records.
danaew93

Next

Return to Military help