Moderator Control Panel ]

Eliza Cleverly

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Eliza Cleverly

Postby SDV » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:19 pm

I am having trouble finding a death for Eliza Cleverly.

She was born in 1844 in Whitchurch, Hampshire. Her parents were John and Letitia Cleverly, John being Letitia's second husband.

In 1851, Eliza (7) was living at London Road, Freefolk Priors, Whitchurch with her parents John (40) and Letitia (42), her step-sister Mary Archer (20) and her sister Harriet (3).

By 1861, Eliza (17) was working as a servant in the home of the Martell family in London Street, Whitchurch. This is the last definite trace of her.

There is an Elizabeth Cleverly (26!) who marries George Dean (41), a widower, in Croydon, Surrey in May 1866. Her father is named as John Cleverly, which is correct, but his occupation of game-keeper is several steps up on earlier records where he was a straight-forward agricultural labourer. Furthermore, her father who is not recorded as deceased, did in fact die in 1852 so had been dead for 14 years by the time of the marriage. I was once convinced that I found her marriage, but now I am not so sure.

On a more positive note, Elizabeth Dean (32) in the 1871 census is living with her husband, step-children and child in Lind Road, Sutton, Surrey and is recorded as having been born in Whitechurch, Hampshire. This is the last possible sighting I have of her, if indeed it is her. Elizabeth Dean disappears from the census after this date, although her husband, step-children and children remain there in the 1881, 1891 and 1901 censuses. I cannot find an appropriate death for Eliza/Elizabeth Dean.

So two questions:

(1) If the Elizabeth Cleverly who marries George Dean in 1866 is the Eliza Cleverly who was born in Whitchurch in 1844, what happens to her after 1871?

(2) If the Elizabeth Cleverly who marries George Dean in 1866 is not the Eliza Cleverly who was born in Whitchurch in 1844, what happens to her after 1861?

All help gratefully received.
SDV

Re: Eliza Cleverly

Postby ksouthall » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:08 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about Eliza's father not being recorded as deceased on her marriage certificate. When one of my great-great-grandfather's married his first wife in 1860, his father was not recorded as deceased despite him having died in 1854.

When my great-great-grandfather married my great-great-grandmother in 1870, his father was recorded as deceased. Perhaps the information asked by vicars had changed in the meantime.

So the marriage certificate could still be the correct one if the other details match.

As for the occupations changing, this was not unusual at that time, especially if someone worked their way up the ladder. Alternatively, Eliza could have bigged up her father's occupation to appear on a similar social scale to her husband.
ksouthall

Postby coopernicola » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:49 pm

If you have the marriage certificate do the witnesses appear to be family members? I've often found they can provide good clues.
coopernicola

Postby Sylcec » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:21 pm

I agree with Katherine - whether or not a person's father is recorded as 'deceased' on a marriage certificate is of absolutely no consequence. It is not information that was required to be given. (I even know of cases where a father has been recorded as deceased when he was not!)

It is also quite common for brides to inflate their father's occupation to something more impressive and higher up the social scale.

So, yes, I think that you probably do have the correct marriage for Eliza Cleverly.
Sylcec

Postby SDV » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:13 pm

Eliza Cleverly's death remains very elusive.

Born: 03 Dec 1843 @ Whitchurch, Hamps, to John and Letitia Cleverly

Last definite appearance: 1861 census, aged 17, working as a house servant for the Martell family in Whitchurch.

Probable marriage: 21 May 1866 2 Croydon, Surrey to George Dean (41, widower)

Last probable appearances: (1) 1871 census aged 32 with husband, step-children and child at Lind Road, Sutton, Epson, Surrey, (2) 1879 birth if daughter Louise DEAN [Q2 1879 Epsom 2a 8].

Non-appearances: 1881, 1891 and 1901 censuses. Although her husband and children continue to live at Lind Road, Eliza or Elizabeth is not present. Moreover, in 1891 and 1901, George is reported to be a widower.

I still can't find a possible death between 1879 and 1891 in either Surrey or Hampshire.
SDV

Postby sdup26 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:13 pm

When a woman of child-bearing age who has had a child (in Eliza's case, Louise 1879), then seems to disappear, I wonder about postnatal depression. As you know, in those days it was regarded as a 'mental' illness, so treated in an appropriate institution, with patients listed in a census under their initials. Sticking with that, the 1881 census for Wandsworth has ED, female patient, married, aged 36 (1845), occupation domestic, unfortunately no place of birth given.

There is a death for an Eliza Dean, JQ 1891, Wandsworth 1d 513, who may or may not be the ED above, but perhaps you've already ruled this one out. I should stress this is only a theory, in the absence of anything more concrete about Eliza's whereabouts.
sdup26

Postby SDV » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:12 pm

I have recently returned to this mystery. The very last known appearance of Eliza/Elizabeth was in Q2 1879, when Louisa Dean, her youngest child was born. In 1881, she was missing from the census, whilst her husband was recorded as married, implying that Eliza/Elizabeth was still alive. By 1891 and subsequent censuses he was recorded as a widower, implying that she was dead.

If we take all the above at face value, then Eliza/Elizabeth is not present in the family home after Q2 1879, possibly as suggested above in a medical institution of some description. She presumably dies sometime between 1881 and 1891.

Unfortunately this doesn't help in locating either an appropriate registration of death or even a burial record. Suggestions?
SDV

Return to General research queries