Moderator Control Panel ]

Dorothy Alice Mary Trump born in India

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Dorothy Alice Mary Trump born in India

Postby klatt » Mon May 30, 2016 4:54 pm

Dorothy Alice Mary Trump was born 5th September 1894 in Belgaum India. I know she married a James Johnston in 1912 in India but have no knowledge of what happens to her after this. Her father was Esau Trump and he died before she was born. Her mother was Ada Saunders but she married a Thomas Newman in 1896 but died in 1903. My husbands family are descendants of her sister Ellen Amy Trump and I was hoping to trace her sisters family in the hope that they would know more about the Saunders side of the family. Ada Saunders was born in India, her fathers name was George William Saunders and his wife was called Catherine.
klatt

Re: Dorothy Alice Mary Trump born in India

Postby Sylcec » Mon May 30, 2016 10:38 pm

Unfortunately I can find no record of the person you mentions - on Findmypast or FIBIS.
As both Dorothy's baptism and marriage appear on Familysearch, they should also show up on Findmypast which has supposedly digitised all the India Office BMD records but there are some missing volumes.
I didn't find any evidence of children born to Dorothy & James in India on Familysearch.
Sylcec

Postby MaureenE » Tue May 31, 2016 9:45 am

I think the Search on findmypast must have been playing up when Sylcec looked, as the baptism and marriage record of Dorothy Trump are on findmypast.

Also on findmypast, Esau Trump was a Sergeant in the Madras Ordnance Department at his marriage in 1889, and his widow Ada married a Serjeant Instructor SMRVC, so both Ada's husbands were in the Army.

It is likely therefore that Dorothy Trump's husband, James Johnston, was also in the Army. However I am unable to read what his occupation was from her marriage record. It is one word, perhaps someone with findmypast access could have a look. The marriage was at Bangalore, and the groom was residing at Fraser Town, which is a suburb in the cantonment area, again suggesting an Army connection.

If James Johnston was in the British Army, he may have been transferred out of India, to anywhere in the world, and would most likely have taken part in WW1, and may even have been killed. If he survived and remained in the Army, children from the marriage could have been born anywhere the British Army had bases, in the UK or overseas.

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby ColinB » Tue May 31, 2016 10:52 am

Have you ruled out this death ?

Dorothy Alice M Johnston b 1894 d 1981 Salisbury , Wiltshire 23 2152

Mrs Dorothy Johnston, 54 , and Mr James Johnston , 66 , mining engineer , address 60 Gordon Barracks ,Bulford Camp, Wiltshire; arrived 29 Sep 1948 Liverpool from Bombay. ( I think the occupation on the 1912 marriage is miner.)
ColinB

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue May 31, 2016 11:34 am

ColinB wrote:... I think the occupation on the 1912 marriage is miner. ...

So do I - starts with an "m", finishes with an "r" and there's an "i" somewhere in there. Or an ink blot.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Sylcec » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:13 am

You are all quite right! I don't know why I couldn't find Dorothy when I looked previously on FindMyPast - must be as Maureen said, due to the vagaries of the FMP search function. Certainly she and her siblings Arthur Esau Trump (1890) and Ellen Amy Trump (1892) are now visible. Sadly it looks as if her father pre-deceased her birth.
Died: 21 March 1894; Esau Trump, age 28, Store Sergeant in Order? Dept (maybe short for Ordnance Dept?) of abscess of the liver and peritonitis at Madras.
Sylcec

Postby klatt » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:25 pm

Thanks everyone. The Dorothy Johnston that dies in Wiltshire in 1984 is definitely her. The birth date matches with the one on her baptism record. The 3 children had a sad start in life. It seems the father was an Alcoholic and died before his daughter was born and their mother died when her youngest daughter was 9.
klatt

Postby ghowling » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:26 pm

I realize this post is a little old, but I just came across this and Dorothy Trump is actually my great grandmother. I've asked my grandmother (the youngest daughter and last surviving child of Dorothy) to provide as much information as possible on her and her family in response to your request. We don't know much about the Saunders family, but can shed light on Dorothy (more light than you probably were expecting when you first posted). Hopefully this is of some help:

Dorothy was actually born on August 15, 1894. Her father, Esau Trump, died in March 1894, apparently from internal bleeding/damage from being struck by a cricket ball. Esau was posted to India as a member of the Somerset Light Infantry. He was originally born in Somerset, England.

Unfortunately, we don't know much, if anything about Dorothy and Nelly's mother, other than that she married Thomas Newman after Esau died and that her father died and is buried in Bangalore. After their mother's death, Dorothy and Nelly were sent to a boarding school for military children and orphans of military children by their step father (Thomas Newman--who promptly took his own child to New Zealand never to be seen again).

As was noted above, Dorothy married James Johnston in 1912. James was a mining engineer and recipient of the Edward Medal, who served in the Indian auxiliary force in World War 1, though did not see any combat. They had 6 children, which they raised in India, one son died at age 2.5 yrs and another son died during WW2 while a POW in Burma.

The information above about their return to England in 1948 is correct. Dorothy's surviving son worked in Pakistan before returning to England. My grandmother moved to the United States in 1954. The rest of the family (including Dorothy and James) remained in England.

Hopefully this is helpful and let us know if want more information on Dorothy, Nelly or the rest of the Trump family. We have actually learned new things about our family from the above posts, so thank you all!
ghowling

Return to General research queries