Moderator Control Panel ]

2021 Census consultation

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

2021 Census consultation

Postby junkers » Mon May 23, 2016 3:21 pm

The response from ONS on family history data is below
https://www.ons.gov.uk/census/censustra ... ndandwales

The short answer is that ONS are not going to have places of birth in the Census because it would cost too much and doesn't meet the threshold (only 12 out of 17), given the overall cost of the Census this is in my view somewhat bizarre.
junkers

Re: 2021 Census consultation

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon May 23, 2016 6:32 pm

I'm not impressed by some of their reasoning. They throw in all sorts of issues about changing geography and does it mean place of birth or residence at that time? To which I could be very immature and say, "D'uh, which of those two options might match 'place of birth'?" More seriously, I feel they are guilty of over thinking it. We only want a place name... Which is why I don't understand their contention that, if included, it would incur "high operational cost to code responses". I don't want it coding - I just want the text. You only need to encode it if you're going to analyse it.

And this from a group whose careful thought and coding have given us Jedi as a religion....

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to Genealogy chat