Moderator Control Panel ]

Best way to store/display family photos

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Best way to store/display family photos

Postby paulcwillis » Sun May 15, 2016 4:14 pm

Hi all,

I have a large number of old family photos passed down through great-grandparents, to grandparents, to my parents etc. Most have already been scanned digitally, but I'm wondering how best to store and display the original 'hard' copies.

At the moment they are in self-adhesive albums (self-adhevise pages with clear film cover on each page, if you know what I mean).

Any suggestions?
paulcwillis

Re: Best way to store/display family photos

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun May 15, 2016 4:48 pm

Gut feeling as soon as you said "self adhesive" is - leave them where they are because taking them out (again, after scanning?) just makes wear and tear. Not to mention handling.

However, it would also seem sensible to consider buying archival quality folders / albums, etc., to store them in, instead of the current album.

Any other thoughts?
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Guy » Mon May 16, 2016 5:25 am

Don't wait get a cardboard box any type of cardboard box will do and remove every single photo from the self adhesive album and add it to the box.

Reason.

Those self adhesive albums are the worst possible way of storing photographs.
They are good for photos you want to access easily and have negatives so you can make copies when the photo gets damaged but over time they will damage the surface of the photo and can discolour them.

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon May 16, 2016 6:11 am

Given that those albums can damage the photos, then I agree with Guy - get them out. Carefully!

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby paulcwillis » Mon May 16, 2016 5:21 pm

Thanks guys! I had a feeling the transparent film in the albums was not good. I'll remove them to a box forthwith!
paulcwillis

Return to Genealogy chat