Switch to full style

Moderator Control Panel

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here
Post a reply

45th foot regiment

Mon May 09, 2016 10:14 pm

Hi

My ancestor John Ellis born 1808 was in the 45th foot regiment I find him fascinating because he was a soldier but Im a bit confused because he married Elizabeth Maston in 1831 in Burma when she was 13 years old his dad was listed as William Jones, now in 1841 there was another marriage between an Elizabeth Maston and a John Ellis in 1841 in Manch ester England it lists his dad as abel ellison im not really sure which one is my ancestor

Re: 45th foot regiment

Mon May 09, 2016 10:26 pm

I would be interested to know the source of your information.

The marriage in Moulmein (Burma), India Office Records: N/2/14, fol.41 is on 10 October 1831 between John Ellis, Sergeant HM 45th Regiment and Elizabeth MARTIN. No fathers names are given on the record. The marriage was conducted by the Colonel of the Regiment. This was a not unusual thing to happen in India etc where there was often a lack of chaplains due to early death and sickness.

I haven't checked the 1841 marriage that you refer to in Manchester, so cannot comment on details, but if John and Elizabeth had returned to England by this time, it is possible that they may have wished to have their marriage validated by the Church.

Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:06 pm

John Ellis only married once, the marriage between a John Ellis and Elizabeth Maston in 1844 was a completely different couple, I,m the source of the above information, John Ellis and Elizabeth Mastin were married on the 10 of October 1831 in Burma as I have their marriage and Army records, plus John Ellis was 23 and Elizabeth was 16 years old, also not sure where the name Martin came from as it's listed on the marriage certificate as Mastin , do you have another record listed as Martin, as I'm looking for her parents

Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:16 am

I read the record as Martin. The following is from the image on findmypast.

I think it is very likely that she was the daughter of another soldier in the same regiment.

Cheers
Maureen
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 4.10.11 pm.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 4.10.11 pm.png (355.44 KiB) Viewed 1283 times

Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:25 am

Yes, definitely ‘Elizabeth Martin, European Spinster’
Post a reply