Moderator Control Panel ]

finding relatives photo

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

finding relatives photo

Postby pagetemma1 » Sun May 08, 2016 12:55 pm

Hi everyone
I am new to researching my family tree. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to go about finding a photo of my grandfather who was in the navy unfortunately we don't have any photos as they all must have got lost along the way and my father was only 5 years old when he died and has never seen a picture of him. I assume a phot must have been taken of him when he joined the navy but details of where he was stationed and even his correct date of birth are not known. His name was Albert Arthur paget he was born between 1919-1924 he died 1958 and was from london shoreditch. If anyone could point me in the right direction of how to go about possibly finding a picture I would be very grateful.
pagetemma1

Re: finding relatives photo

Postby Dene Fisher » Sun May 08, 2016 3:15 pm

Hi
Are you on Ancestry? - there maybe others on there who are researching the same person & have attached photos or may have photos that they've not attached but may be willing to share with you.
Good luck
Dene

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Dene Fisher

Postby brunes08 » Sun May 08, 2016 4:41 pm

I looked on freebmd.org for you and found a likely birth reference. There is an Albert A Paget registered in the September Quarter of 1923 at Shoreditch. His mother's surname is Tucker. If you need to obtain a birth certificate for more details you could apply on line to the General Registrar with the ref Sep 1/4 1923 1c 27. This seems to be the right person so might help you track him down more easily.
brunes08

Postby pagetemma1 » Sun May 08, 2016 5:20 pm

Thanks for the advice guys I will definitely do that :)
pagetemma1

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun May 08, 2016 5:28 pm

pagetemma1 wrote:... I assume a photo must have been taken of him when he joined the navy ....

Well, it's a good idea... The problem is that if (and it's a big "if") a "mug-shot" type photo were taken, it'll be kept with his service records. And the Royal Navy service records for anyone joining after 1928 are still kept by the Ministry of Defence. Have a look at the National Archives guide on naval personnel http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/royal-navy-ratings-after-1928/ - the link gives limited information but does link to the MoD site to request service records. You'll need to supply death certificate, etc.

Note 1 - I'm assuming "Navy" means Royal Navy and not Merchant Navy.
Note 2 - I have seen photos with Merchant Navy record cards - they can be found on FindMyPast, though I've no idea what date range they cover. I have absolutely no idea whether the RN did "mug-shot" type photos or not.... Or whether officialdom kept them if they did.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby pagetemma1 » Sun May 08, 2016 5:40 pm

Thankyou:)
pagetemma1

Postby Lucretia66 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:51 pm

You will find Facebook have lots of military sites and some include for example WW1 and WW2 information and often show photos, so they might even have some you may be looking for. There will be information on other places to look as well. If you put enough information up someone may be able to help you. I've no interest in military sites myself but I know that a lot of people do, so Facebook may be of help as I stumbled across some by accident. Sorry I didn't note the links.
Lucretia66

Postby TheViking » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:25 pm

Wow glad i came across this post i too am looking for a mug shot of my grandfather George Patrick Conway and his son Stanley Conway.

1520665, Gunner Stanley Conway.
Royal Artillery.
Died on the 18th of January age 24 in Dunkirk.

George Stanley Conway was in the army but i have no reg number or anything.

This is all i know of them. If there is any mug shots where would i find these ?

TheViking

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:51 pm

Any official photos will be with his service records, held by the Ministry of Defence - see my earlier response - whether Army, Navy or Air Force. However, I have absolutely no idea whether they were ever taken or kept.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to Photo identification