Switch to full style

Moderator Control Panel

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here
Post a reply

John BIRD

Fri May 06, 2016 2:49 pm

I know that this is a long shot, but you never know. John BIRD married ann HEAD on 14 Nov 1802 at All Saints, Edmonton, Middlesex.

According to the baptisms of two of their children, William (b 1812) and Mary Ann (b 1814), John Bird was a soldier. That is all I know. I have no information as to rank (though almost certainly not an officer) or regiment.

He was certainly dead by 1824, as his wife Ann remarried in that year to one John Roberts. Indeed, he was probably dead by 1818, as in that year another child was baptised under the surname of Roberts, suggesting that the couple were already living together though they had yet to marry.

Any help on tracking down anything on John Bird would be helpful.

Re: John BIRD

Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:57 pm

I am resurrecting this old post, as I have still not made any progress in finding out anything about John Bird and in the hope someone will have some suggestions as to how to progress this research.

Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:58 pm

I have to be realistic about this and say that unless you can get more information on regiment, etc, the Army connection isn't going to help.

At this point, the British Army didn't keep detailed personnel records (Attestation form etc) unless the soldier was discharged to a pension - and no, there wasn't a widow's pension. So if someone died in service, there won't be any detailed personnel records. John Bird will appear in the Muster Books & Pay Lists (that's one document produced every quarter for each battalion or equivalent) but the vast majority will say no more than his name (plus rank and unit) - so you won't be able to tell your JB from any other JB. The last time I tried this, I had a rare surname - but John Bird isn't rare - there are 792 of them in the FindMyPast British Army Service Records covering the pre-WW1 era - and these are just the ones with pensions (well, in the last couple of decades it covers anyone discharged alive).

The initial and final Muster Books for JB might contain more data but again, since you know nothing much about him, there's nothing there to recognise him by.

My next best guess was to try the Royal Military Asylum Apprentice Ledgers 1803-1840 / Royal Military Asylum (Chelsea) Admissions 1803-1901 on FindMyPast because this had my chap's daughter in - it's a school for orphans, though occasionally it took in children with only 1 dead parent. No good there, I'm afraid - one Bird child admitted 1824 but parents were William & Jane.

Sorry.

Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:18 pm

Adrain - I knew it was a long shot, but thanks for your efforts.
Post a reply