Moderator Control Panel ]

'Lost Cousins' website

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

'Lost Cousins' website

Postby JaneyH » Wed May 04, 2016 7:51 am

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience of using the 'lost cousins' website. I've only just come across this, when it was mentioned at a recent FHS talk.

For those unfamiliar with it, it seems you enter the Census details of various ancestors in a precise, structured way. The website then matches your entries with anyone else who has already entered the same people. Matches are flagged via the website; you don't have to respond to anyone or share your email address if you don't want to. The strength is that these should all be 'definite' matches, rather than possible ones.

I don't have any great motivation to track down 4th or 5th cousins for the sake of it, but clearly if they're researching the same ancestors then there could be some value in doing so.

I note on the website's Q&A page that the median number of ancestors needing to be entered before matches start appearing is 62 - so there's potentially a few hours' worth of data entry to reap any benefits.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Re: 'Lost Cousins' website

Postby lottie's mum » Sat May 07, 2016 10:09 pm

I can recommend Lost Cousins for the newsletters alone. They are sent out twice monthly and are very informative. I have put in some of my ancestors and have had a hit, this was a long time again but I haven't had a subscription since then. I have to confess one of the things on my to do list is to update it and renew my subscription.
lottie's mum

Postby ermin79 » Sat May 07, 2016 10:33 pm

I have been a member of Lost Cousins for some time, and have two matches (I have about 80 individuals listed). My husband has had three matches with cousins (4th / 5th and higher) and has only 30 relatives listed. He has gained a lot of information from these individuals about their specific branches and help progressing further back in his tree.

As you know unlike some family tree sites when you have a match there is none of the vague questions to try and see if you are indeed talking about the same person. If the respondent has done their research accurately (and yes I know that is not always the case) then you can be sure that you are linked. As you have to go through the censuses and make an effort to put in the correct data, the site does seem to attract people who are more serious about accuracy in their research. The data input is time consuming but you only need to do it at the start.

The brilliant newsletter includes up to date family history news, articles and reviews of related books etc and I concur with the other reply, they are a very helpful resource.
ermin79

Postby JaneyH » Sun May 08, 2016 7:45 am

Thanks both. The newsletters were mentioned by the person who told me about the website, so it's useful to have a second opinion. Looks like I need to find some time, register and start entering some data!

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby ermin79 » Sun May 08, 2016 8:19 am

For the sake of accuracy I have been told by my husband this morning he's had one match, the other two relatives i thought were through LC weren't. I apologise, it was late in the day!

My opinion on the site still stands though :)

Sent from my LG-D213 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
ermin79

Postby JaneyH » Sun May 08, 2016 8:41 am

No problem! I've had half or dozen or so contacts over the years, mainly via Ancestry - either people contacting me or me contacting a tree owner. The best 'find' though was through a simple google search, which led me to a website with 300+ years of a single name study which includes a branch of my family.

As ever, my biggest problem is finding the time!

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby JaneyH » Wed May 25, 2016 1:01 pm

Just a quick update.

I 'took the plunge' a couple of weeks ago and started entering Census data. So far I've only covered direct ancestors (and siblings where they are part of the same household). After about 60 people entered I got a match - a 4th cousin 1x removed.

So far I've done the 1881 Census and have just started on 1841. Still 1911 left untouched. Just need the time ...

JaneyH

Postby lottie's mum » Fri May 27, 2016 8:21 pm

JaneyH wrote:Just a quick update.

. Just need the time ...

Don't we all - that's my biggest problem! Glad it's going well
lottie's mum

Return to Genealogy chat