Moderator Control Panel ]

Family Tree program too old to transfer to new PC!

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Postby Diaper » Mon May 02, 2016 4:41 pm

We have just replaced our PC and a friend who works in IT has helped transfer programs, folders etc. However he found that the GSP Family Tree program I have used over the years is not compatible with our new PC. I have the data backed up in various places but now don't have any way of accessing it. I have heard of something called GEDCOM but am not sure how it works and whether it would work in this case as I haven't another Family Tree program purchased or installed as yet. Could anyone explain how GEDCOM works or point me to an article that would help and which Family Tree program would others recommend?

Many thanks

Pauline
Diaper

Re: Family Tree program too old to transfer to new PC!

Postby Mick Loney » Mon May 02, 2016 7:56 pm

Pauline,
GEDCOM in simple terms is a text file, that contains genealogy data that can be read by most genealogy programs. Most genealogy software in use today can import or export their data using this format. It was originated by the people who run Family Search, i.e the Mormons, or Church of Jesus Christ of latter-day Saints (ofter referred to as LDS), as a means of transferring genealogy data between individuals.

Although Genealogy programs may store the information internally using proprietary data formats, they can export it using the GEDCOM standard, so that another program can then import it.

Hopefully, among your GSP backups, you will have made a Gedcom file, but from your question, I doubt this is the case. All is not lost however, because if you find someone running GSP, you can get them to load one of your backups, then export your data as a Gedcom file.
When you get your new program, you can then import your data via the Gedom file.

Is your IT expert sure that GSP can't run on your new machine? If it is windows program, I'd be surprised if it couldn't be run in compatability mode somehow. I think I have a copy of GSP lying around somewhere, so I'll see if I can run it on my new 64bit Windows 10 PC. If I succeed, I'll come back to you to see how I can help you further.

Finally, if you haven't decided on a new program yet, take a look at Family Historian 6. Not only does this program accept Gedcoms as most other programs do, but it actually uses a Gedcom file to store the information.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby Mick Loney » Mon May 02, 2016 8:25 pm

Pauline,
Another suggestion just popped into my brain, how about upgrading to a later version of GSP? When developer update their software, they want to retain their existing clients, so usually allow the later version to accept data from an earlier version.
I.e. The new GSP may be able to load one of your backups from the old version.

May be worth dropping the makers of GSP an e-mail.
a. They will let you know if the new version will accept a backup from the old version.
b. They may help you converting one of your backups into a Gedcom file.

Mick Loney

Postby Diaper » Tue May 03, 2016 9:14 pm

Dear Mick

Many thanks for your helpful suggestions. I think you are probably right in the fact that I haven't made a GEDCOM file in my Backups! I am also aware that GSP doesn't exist any longer but became something called Avanquest if I remember correctly.

I seem to remember our IT friend saying the cdrom for the GSP program is 8 bit and like yourself our new PC is 64 bit Windows 10. I'd be interested to hear if you were able to run it somehow.

The program is still loaded on our old PC which we would have to set up somewhere with a monitor so I could make a GEDCOM backup. I'll also have a look at Family Historian 6.

Once again thanks so much for your help - didn't really know where to start!

Pauline
Diaper

Postby Mick Loney » Wed May 04, 2016 5:31 am

Pauline,
What I have, and thought was GSP, turned out to be an old suite of programs called Generation Suite, and the main programme was called Generation 8 or something similar. If that rings a bell, I still have it on my other PC if you need it.

As for Family Historian, they have a user group forum (fhug.org.uk), which is a great place for getting advice. I must admit it is a refreshing change to have a program where nothing is hidden away in a database, and absolutely everying is readily accessable and searchable. I changed from Family Tree Maker, because Ancestry announced they were no longer willing to support it with upgrades etc, so I jumped before I was pushed. I haven't regretted it one little bit.

Mick Loney

Postby SoozOne » Wed May 04, 2016 12:11 pm

Ancestry aren't supporting FTM but I had an email a while ago saying that the programme designers had taken it over and would be working with Ancestry and fully supporting it.

Sent from my iPod touch using WDYTYA Forum
SoozOne

Postby Mick Loney » Wed May 04, 2016 6:32 pm

SoozOne,
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply FTM it was no longer supported. At the time I changed to Family Historian, the handover of FTM to the designers hadn't happened, hence my decision to move. Saying that however, I had been looking for a replacement for FTM2012 for quite a while, as I was frustrated by lack of access to the underlying data, only being allowed access to the data which the program designers deemed fit to allow me.

It was a like a breath of fresh air when I moved to Family Historian. I now have the opportunity to use MY data any way I see fit, without any artificial barriers provided by the programmers.

Mick Loney

Postby SoozOne » Thu May 05, 2016 12:40 am

Hi Mick
Had a look at Family Historian, but was disappointed to see its windows only so couldn't take it for a tryout. Really wish software makers would get around to acknowledging that there are folk who run apple systems. [sigh]

SoozOne

Postby Guy » Thu May 05, 2016 4:48 am

SoozOne wrote:Hi Mick
Had a look at Family Historian, but was disappointed to see its windows only so couldn't take it for a tryout. Really wish software makers would get around to acknowledging that there are folk who run apple systems. [sigh]

There is a growing number of software makers who code programs for Macs, but the simply fact is relatively few people use Macs and relatively few of those are interested in family history.
This means that there is a low return for the work entailed in coding for the system.

Incidentally that is one reason why there are few viruses attacking Macs, because even the virus writers see them as a "low value/return target"

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby Mick Loney » Thu May 05, 2016 5:36 am

SoozOne,

All is not lost if you really wish to run Family Historian (FH) on your Mac. There is a windows emulation program for Mac, which I believe is called Crossover, and FH, as well as other window programs, will run inside this program!

Checkout the FH user group forum on fhug.org.uk, where there are posts from users discussing FH on their Macs.

Mick Loney

Next

Return to General research queries