Moderator Control Panel ]

Family Tree program too old to transfer to new PC!

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Family Tree program too old to transfer to new PC!

Postby Diaper » Sun May 15, 2016 8:03 pm

Many thanks Adrian for those instructions - I now have a DIAPER.GED file saved in my GSP\FAMTREE folder on the hard drive on the old PC! It only seems to be 275 KB whereas my DIAPER.GFT file is 595 KB but I'm assuming that's ok? No internet connection at the moment to the old PC but when next connected I'll email it to our new email address and can save it on the new PC then. Phew - what a relief!!
Diaper

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun May 15, 2016 8:20 pm

Quite likely that the GED file is smaller - hopefully that's not an issue. Still it goes without saying that you'll need to double and triple check when you can load it up into your new program.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Guy » Mon May 16, 2016 5:09 am

Be aware Gedcom does not transfer media files or images, you will have to tranfer those seperately from the gedcom file
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby Diaper » Mon May 16, 2016 3:34 pm

Many thanks Adrian and Guy I don't think I have any media files or images on my tree so shouldn't be an issue. Keeping old PC until I have a new Family Tree program and have imported GEDCOM so may be back on here asking for further help then!!
Diaper

Postby Diaper » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:55 pm

I decided that, rather than invest in a new Family Tree program, I would initially download a freebie called My Family Tree advertised on pages 60/61 of the April 2016 WDYTYA magazine and, if I could successfully import my GEDCOM file, then I'd purchase a Family Tree program. Having successfully downloaded the My Family Tree program from chronoplexsoftware.com I imported my GEDCOM file. Immediately one of my family trees appeared! However I can't find any of my other family trees. I obviously don't know my way round this new program yet so was wondering if anyone else uses it and can help. Are my other family trees there and I just don't know how to find them or has my GEDCOM backup only backed up one of my family trees and if so why? I noticed when I wanted to exit the program that it asked me to Save but it didn't seem to save to the program itself like my old GSP one did but to a Family History folder on the PC which contains documents like certificates, medal cards etc - have to admit I'm rather confused!
Diaper

Postby ksouthall » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:07 pm

You would need to export each family tree to a separate GEDCOM file. So although you have done one tree, you will need to report the export and import for each tree.
ksouthall

Postby Diaper » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:05 pm

Ah - I hadn't realised that! I have absolutely no idea how many family trees I have in my GSP Family Tree nor any idea how to save and export them individually - back to the drawing board methinks!!
Diaper

Postby acccompltd@msn.com » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:16 pm

I also use GSP Family tree and have the same problems on Windows 7.

The main problem with GSP family tree that is its Gedcom exporter is way below par. It does not even export death information. It loses marriage information (such as witnesses and occupations)

So there's do point telling GSP FT users to do a gedcom export.

I'm a VB programmer and wrote my own exporter for this. I had to become familiar with the GSP data format (which is a bit loose) and the gedcom format rules (which it loosely sticks to).

Even so, I'm sticking with XP until my PC dies.

Using it on the Windows 7 Pro virtual XP is a real hassle.

Happy family searching,

Sean Robertshaw
acccompltd@msn.com

Previous

Return to General research queries